Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are headed for New Zealand on March 3rd - 29th and I plan to bring along a fly rod. I'm told they don't have particularly large numbers of fish, but they have big ones. Having never been there it will be a new adventure. I will be bringing in minimal equipment because of limited luggage space.

What would you do? I know this is an open question. I'm not even sure how many days I'll be able to fish. Our daughter lives there.

Ken

·
Banned
1,366 Posts
There are plenty of fish in NZ streams north and south, I can tell you from personal experience. There are also large ones, but this mediocre fisherman had 25+ fish days on my trip, on unguided visits to various streams. I brought a Sage Discovery II 9' 6wt rod, for those big boys, and it worked fine. I fished on both islands, but fell in love with the South Island. There are big rivers where you can fish along side the river, and small ones that require a bit of stealth. A guide, or at least spotter, will help on those clear ones.

If you have specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I visited twice, 3 weeks each time. The first time I split my time between the two islands, and the second time was only on the South Island. I also did not fish full time, but got probably 5-7 days in each visit.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I did three weeks on the South Island two years ago, traveling in a mini-van camper (reserved in advance, on line). Before the trip, I read books and watched videos. I wish I'd hired a guide for a day; I probably would have learned 50% more about how they do it. Rivers large and small are easy to find (though half have unpronounceable Maori names) and access. I never saw a No Trespassing sign! There are a high percentage of big trout, although trout have to start out small, so there were plenty of them. Flies can be old school standards you could buy from Dan Baily's a half century ago. Careful stalking, near-camo clothes and accurate presentation are very important.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
-Don't overlook the central plateau/Taupo region if you are traversing the North Island. I lived there for six months and didn't bother with a guide, but anyone who is just passing through would be well advised to book a guide for a half day trip.

-It's also worth checking on the current set of rules for "bioprotection" or however they phrase it. When I arrived in 2008 they had just outlawed felt souled boots, and there was a long list of things that were subject to confiscation and cleaning before they'd be returned to you. At a minimum I'd bring along a brand new pair of wading boots (tags on), and plan on buying all of the flies you need once you're there. Things may have changed, but I heard lots of tales of anglers having to surrender fly boxes, etc upon entry. They were clearly going to get them back, but no in time to be of any help on a 2-3 week fishing trip.

-Not fishing related, but the Sauvignon Blanc's from the north end of the South Island are outstanding and pair very well with fruit, cheese, and trout. Consumed quite a bit of all of the above when I was there.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
There's a mistake to avoid, which cost me two wasted days. I flew to Christchurch from the U.S., and checked my duffle bag through to there; but the flights stop first at Wellington on the North Island. That's where gear gets decontaminated. I should have checked it to Wellington and walked it through, as I did with my carryon bag, which held reels, vest and flies, and new wading boots. There was a backlog of checked baggage for decontamination. The Air NZ Lost Luggage people were extremely helpful, making many phone calls to Wellington. I hung around Christchurch for the two days it took. It's an attractive city, but not that exciting, even at my age.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing. My friend told me the locals wet wade in March. That would remove waders from my luggage. Any thoughts on that. I did buy some shoe chains for traction.
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.