Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone-

I have looked all over the web looking for saltwater fly fishing off our coasts..... and found nothing. After reading some of the current and past posts it seems as though saltwater fishing can be done here and done very successfully.

Now I am not asking for your honey hole..... But any general info on type of gear needed (rod, line,etc), time of year, general location, flys patterns, would certainly be interesting to know.

It all sounds like a really fun time. Your info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I am lucky to fish a few areas of the Puget Sound. I know little about the coast. What I know I've learned by reading posts by Jim Wallace. Here is an example: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...ngton-s-Coast-Line?highlight=washington+coast
Might be worth viewing as many posts of his that you can find, along with other very informative folks here. Careful though, he does most of his water work under the cover of heavy fog.

·
Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....
73 Posts
100% agree with Steve and I will add a R - Reasearch, read and find everything you can about the subject, there are so many little things that the books don't tell you that you will learn with experience. Find a likely beach and learn it, meaning fish it from the high tide through low and slack to high again. Pay attention, some beaches fish at very specific tides and others fish at specific times of the year, keep a journal and refer to it often.

Most of all enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Take pictures of the beach at low tide, as well. Then study the pictures as the tide comes in to see how the water reacts as it covers the bottom. The more research you do, the better you will understand when, where, and why the fish are caught on that beach.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
oregon has excellent beach fishing for surf perch. john sheewy wrote the book on the topic, probably still available or just check it out of your library, won't take long to read and find out about some excellent spots. the jetty fishing down that way can also be stellar, tide dependent. best time to do that is on the dark of the moon with a slack after dark. take your coleman lantern, hike out, start blind casting in the dark. simple flies work well, chennille bodies with a flash wing, white and yellow seem productive. you won't know what you have hooked until you get the fish up to the rocks.

caution - never venture too far out on any jetty if the surf is breaking and remember all of that riprap is slick as snot, be prepared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.