Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Depends on the location and the management strategy as to whether the fish have the ability to make it upstream. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have further questions.

G

·
Well, there you go. I thought they all swam in and got the state funded handjob. Guess that's not always the case.
that only happens to the nontribal sport salmon fisher, buying a salmon license gets you a state funded hand job !!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Getting back to the original question, I'm sure there are many papers written by the scientific community on fish studies about adult salmon and their "homing" instinct. Perhaps some of the fisheries scientists in the forum could refer you to some papers (perhaps some of our members have written a paper on this subject?). Salmon (and steelhead) can and do overshoot hatcheries. They also stray into non-natal rivers. If memory serves, when Mount St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980 and turned the Toutle into a boiling mud flow, anadromous fish found other rivers to run up. I heard stories about how well the Kalama River fished and the speculation by anglers was the river had Toutle fish in it as well as its own spawn. Good question sir!

·
Wishin I was on the Sauk
4,449 Posts
At the Wallace hatchery it is the end of the line for the fish. They swim into the holding pond and are scooped out of there and the eggs are taken there.
Not quite Jim, if they go up may creek they are taped and held for other hatcheries, at the other end of the hatchery is where the Lader to the holding ponds to await spawning is. There is a weir there only for kings, once the wild fish are done spawning they remove it so hatchery coho and steelhead can and do wander above.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The hatcheries are constructed so the fish must pass into it. End of the line.
All salmon and steel head stray to some extent, the only way to make sure they don't would be to have a weir low in the system to capture all the returning fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.