Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, I'm decently new to fishing, and just getting started in fly fishing.

I started my fishing journey in June of this year when my youngest son said he wanted to go fishing for his 4th birthday. We picked up some cheap spinning gear and went out to our local stocked pond and didn't catch a thing because we didn't really have a clue what we were doing. But since then I've managed to grow and learn as an angler, landing a good number of trout, a couple of salmon, and a single steelhead.

A few months ago I picked up a cheap flyrod/reel combo (and I mean cheap, it was a rod, reel, line, and flies for like $40). After spending my first couple of trips out with it untangling every few casts, I managed to reach a point where I could catch the tiniest fish you've ever seen. So tiny that I'm pretty sure they're what the trout eat in my local creek.

A couple of weeks ago I bought myself a Maxxon Outfitters Stonefly combo to make an honest go of actually catching something on a fly. Since I've been fishing less than a year I'm still figuring out what to fish for during what season, but I'm making steady progress

I hope y'all will be kind and help me out if I ever run into any of you on the river!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it occurs to me I didn't even mention where I'm located or where I fish.

I'm down in the Vancouver/Portland area. My fishing so far has been exclusively on the Lewis River (both forks), Cowlitz River, and Klineline Pond/Salmon Creek. I'm hoping to get some time on the Kalama and learn that river a bit.

· Registered
236 Posts
Take your time and keep things simple. You will eventually become adept at everything and be able to cast, etc. without even thinking about it. Don't try to cram too much into each fishing trip. Ask questions and never think your too good. Remember KISS is the best analogy. (Keep it simple stupid)

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm also new to fly fishing, I've been learning for 8 months and I'm just now getting a little bit better. I have upgraded on the lures so that it is very friendly for me, you can try it and change of your lures, feeders.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take your time and keep things simple. You will eventually become adept at everything and be able to cast, etc. without even thinking about it. Don't try to cram too much into each fishing trip. Ask questions and never think your too good. Remember KISS is the best analogy. (Keep it simple stupid)
Thanks for the advice Mike. For the most part I only use one or two flies every time I go out, my main focus for now is just trying to get my flies to land where I want them to. My logic is that you could have the perfect fly for the day/river/whatever, but if you can't put it where it needs to go then you aren't going to catch anything anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts