Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went there Saturday and to my surprise there's a new pay box recently installed. Its called a $5 parking fee. One guy I talked to said it wasn't there last weekend when he was there, so they put it in during the week sometime. I know the lake is part of the state park but I think they've gone to far. What do you get for $5, a vault toilet (that doesn't seem to get empied very often), a gravel lot thats been there forever, and no trash cans. This is one of the cleanest fishing put-in's around because most of us that use it care about it and take out our garbage when we leave. So their not using the money for clean-up. And the state stocks the lake with fish, so the money's not going there either. So where's it going, what am I getting for my $5? I probably still fish there but I think this is BS!!!
Jim J

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Don't pay

Fishing there isn't worth 5 bucks anyway. I'd rather pay the Ferry fee and fish Lone Lake. At least I don't have to listen to semi's rolling by all day.

Washington State, dollar dumb and penny wise...how's that for our new motto.

Roper,

Truth above all

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Jim, I may be mistaken (anyone out there who knows for sure please correct me if I'm wrong), but my understanding of the new fee regulations is that, when using a boat ramp within a WA state park, one does not have to pay the $5.00 use fee if one has the yellow "vehicle use permit" (that one gets along with the fishing license) displayed. Otherwise, fifty bucks will buy a season's pass to all WA state parks.- Jimbo

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think everyone has to pay, our yellow sticker doesn't buy you anything there since its a state park. And it doesn't say anything to that effect on the sign installed with it. Besides everyone who fishes there now has to have a license, hence they also have a sticker. I'll bet Dry Falls and all the lakes in that chain will also get this new fee, they are all within the state park boundaries. This is a state run scam to get more money in the general fund, it has nothing to do with fishing. As far as just NOT paying, A ticket will probably be like that of no yellow sticker in your window. I'm sure of one thing though, we haven't heard the last of this!!!
Jim J

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I just checked out the state parks site, and there is nothing about the the WDFW permit allowing us to launch in state parks. The WDFW permit allows us to park or launch in WDFW areas. The Stae Parks permit on state park land.

I almost bought a $50 launch/parking permit, as it allows one access to the beach at Deception Pass, to the lakes at Dry Falls, to the river at Flaming Geyser, and so on. I think its a good investment for fly fishers.

I am also with you guys, between the Weyerhauser Access, the WDFW access, the trails access passes, I will need a built in filing cabinet in my car to keep up with the permits.

Rob

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Rob, where do you get your Weyerhauser access permit? Do they have a website for recreational use? :) I was trying to find my way to some local beaver ponds this summer but hit a locked Weyerhauser gate. The sign said that foot access could be granted, but don't know what the proper channels are. Thanks.

-Crock

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

That is correct. If you want to go to any state park and stop and park to smell the roses you have to pay a $5.00 fee to do just that. Also along those lines in order to go have a picnic in the woods or at one of those picnic areas you also have to pay $5.00 for a permit(trail pass) to do that. I don't think that anything is free any more. The funny part about all this is I don't think that any of the monies will improve anything.

Lets see to fish you need a license To fish in Salt water you need another license, then a sea weed license, a fee to park on state parks,a fee to be in the woods, a fee to get on private land. Where does it all end?????????

Jim:beathead

·
Registered
351 Posts
I pack a long rod, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I think this new $5 parking deal in State Parks is pure Bull and I will make it a point NOT to pay it if and when I ever park in one of those areas.:reallymad :rofl

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a thought on this topic; but given the econonmy and fact that the State is in the hole (through stupidity or whatever), whould you rather have the state put up a pay box or lock the front gate? For example, King Count has closed the gate at about half its parks for at least some part of the year. I personally would rather pay the $5 than not have access to Dry Falls, Pass, Cranberry, etc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm not opposed to paying the $5 for a user fee. But I usually park alongside the road instead of at the lot, so I don't have to kick the whole length of the lake in my tube. If I am going to get a ticket for illegal roadside access, I may have to find a new favorite place to fish, and that would piss me off to no end!:reallymad

Happiness was a tight line!
Aaron j

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
You can get access to Weyerhauser land at the Spur 10 Gate in North Bend. The permits are available at many places, but I buy mine at Sportee's in Redmond. They are valid for the the period of the standard Lakes season.

Rob

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
According to the rules, you have a 10 minute grace period to pee, smell the roses or stretch, after that, you are required to pay.

I don't see this as a scam, this is how the state will raise revenue in the wake of Tim Eyeman and the demise of the Tech Bubble.

Rob

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My family and ancestors have a long history on Fidalgo Island. My family has fished Pass lake for generations. Way before Pass Lake was regulated at all. I Love Pass lake and will pay 5 bucks and not even think twice about it. I've caught so many huge fish in that lake over the years, never keeping a one, ever. So if all you fellas won't fish it anymore, well, I'll be enjoying the solidude I'll have on the lake next time. :beer2 YT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can they seriously ticket you for parking on one of the wide shoulder's to launch a tube? I am opposed to the long kick, and often don't go all the way to the parking lot. It'd be easy to miss the box and the fee all together until it was too late!

I'm not opposed to some taxation based on usage, such as that which we pay at trail heads or to buy our fishing licenses, but I'd sure like to have some no BS accounting as to how that money is actually spent. I hardly ever konk a fish, even the myriad hatchery clones we catch. I'm sure much of my license fees go towards the huge fish masacre that is opening weekend. To bad there wasn't a limited kill license aimed at improving water!

·
been around
117 Posts
I'm with the post on access or gates with the mess the state is in I'll pay rather than complain to try and keep it open this lake is not a destination lake for me I drive by there on my sales route every wed. It's all relative any way think about what else you'd spend $5.00 for I not a rich guy but $5.00 for pass is alot cheaper than my therapist's co pay or the pack of menthols a day I can't seem to give up.
john

·
Registered
71 Posts
Speaking of Weyerhauser permits, has anyone heard if there are going to be any changes up there this year now that Weyerhauser is no longer in control? Are premits available now? A far as Pass goes, I agree your not getting much of a boat launch facilities, but my are those fish worth it. I'll pay.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Everyone wants the services that a government provides, police, fire, schools, roads, prisons, and on and on. But lately it seems everyone wants some free lunch. That is, they want the services but they don't want to pay for them; example, they vote no on all tax increases and yes on all tax cuts.
When the money (like now)runs out, everybody is scrambling to stay alive, bridges are eroding and must be replaced, schools are losing all their good teachers to California where a teacher is paid nearly double for the same job, prisons are releasing felons because ther is no place to house them, social workers can't check on their case loads because they are about four times the size they should be, and so the story goes on and on.
Every dollar must be wrung out from every source and still, I think, the government may collapse.
I will pay the five bucks. I will vote no on Eyeman.
I will pay for my services. But I don't know if the majority will follow. The BS is that the ones who can afford most to pay for what they get (and they get plenty) will not pay their fair share: an owner of an old junker barely able to keep up to legal speed on the freeway will be passed by a brand new Mercedes Benz with ermine trimmed leather seats. The MB owner will chuckle as he realizes that his license plate costs the same as the old gutter boat. And so on and on it goes. Some people are just getting over on the others. And the others are just too stupid to understand this.
We can afford five bucks. But we never had to pay before. How come the change? Who is really to blame?
State Parks are near collapse because of budjet cuts so don't blame them. Again, who is really to blame?
BOBLAWLESS. :professor :reallymad :beathead :thumb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.