Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In light of Trapper post, anyone else a member of Nextdoor?

I signed up about a month or so ago after getting a invite from my neighbor.
I've lived in the same neighborhood for the past 30 years and never had any issues until recently.
I consider my neighborhood to be a pretty good, safe place.

After signing up, it is pretty eye opening all the shit that goes on in my immediate area such as burglaries, car prowls, package thefts, stolen mail etc. I guess I never really took notice of it until my recent incident.

There is no doubt some fluff to sort through with some of the posts, but it is good way to know what is going on around your neighborhood in regards to crime.
I have no affiliation with the site other then being a member. Just another way to try and keep one step ahead of the scumbags out there.
SF

Reactions: GOTY

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
Its pretty useful for finding recommendations for handymen, mechanics, babysitters, daycare, etc.

The crime stuff is interesting -- the majority of it around me is related to identify theft, dui, and car prowls.

Sometimes it is depressing though -- Seems like every hour or two in my hood (kirkland) someone will post about a coyote sighting and which color cat the coyote had dangling from its mouth...they are usually followed up by someone looking for their missing cat, which just so happens to have been the same color cat a coyote was munching on earlier.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I learned about it and joined last spring or summer. Mostly not interesting to me, but like said, it's a good way to keep abreast of car prowls and break ins. Fortunately there aren't many of those. Mostly lost cats, and a deer rich neighborhood like ours is probably equally full of coyotes, tho I don't hear them all that often. Now a neighbor is looking for an interior painter and getting lots of replies, so it has a lot of uses.

·
Banned
1,366 Posts
I just got an invite two weeks ago. Frankly, the best protection is that my neighbors and I all know each other, and will watch out if they see any unusual activity in the neighborhood. That said, our area is fortunately very safe, with very little in the way of burglary etc, cross my fingers.

I'm even surprised to not see coyote posts like mentioned by Golfman44, because I see them around the neighborhood all the time, and they use my back yard as a major thoroughfare to the river bottom beyond.

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Skagit County, where I live, has a crime map that I check periodically. We have mostly domestic calls up where I'm at. On my road there are four houses. The driveways and parking areas are all visible to each other. We all know each other and two of us are retired so someone is always home. Most everyone up here is armed in some manner and I'm certain some will shoot first and ask questions later.

We had a tweaker up here breaking into vehicles and houses a few years ago. I talked to a sheriff deputy that lives up here also about the thief. He said they really wanted to get him because they were afraid someone was going to catch him in the act and shoot him. He didn't want to have to arrest a home owner for shooting a tweaker. I told him it should be legal to shoot tweaker thieves. He kinda laughed.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
It sounds very similar to the "Neighborhood Watch" programs. No doubt having good, reliable neighbors watching out for each other is a valuable security system. I've always felt that having a security system that is so loud it makes the local air raid siren sound like child's play is very valuable. The one we had in WA had two screeching horns up on the second story and two high intensity strobe lights. No fees and connection to the local authorities... just make it so loud and annoying that the entire neighborhood wants to come and put the fire out :).

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Its pretty useful for finding recommendations for handymen, mechanics, babysitters, daycare, etc.

The crime stuff is interesting -- the majority of it around me is related to identify theft, dui, and car prowls.

Sometimes it is depressing though -- Seems like every hour or two in my hood (kirkland) someone will post about a coyote sighting and which color cat the coyote had dangling from its mouth...they are usually followed up by someone looking for their missing cat, which just so happens to have been the same color cat a coyote was munching on earlier.
I laughed.

Reactions: GOTY

·
Outta Here
3,912 Posts
I share a culdesac with noisy neighbors (many of which are retired) ...who I get along with quite well.

Unfamiliar vehicles, and pedestrians stand out because we get little traffic.

I've got motion detector floodlights, and motion detector cameras that, once triggered, instantly send the pics to an off-site cloud (so destroying/stealing the cameras won't help a would-be thief avoid identification). The notifications are also sent to our smartphones.

Heaven help someone making their way into the backyard (they'd have to climb a 6' chain-link fence)..some critter that don't don't like strangers live back there as well.

It's a shame such things are necessary.

·
Outta Here
3,912 Posts
I share a culdesac with noisy neighbors (many of which are retired) ...who I get along with quite well.

Unfamiliar vehicles, and pedestrians stand out because we get little traffic.

I've got motion detector floodlights, and motion detector cameras that, once triggered, instantly send the pics to an off-site cloud (so destroying/stealing the cameras won't help a would-be thief avoid identification). The notifications are also sent to our smartphones.

Heaven help someone making their way into the backyard (they'd have to climb a 6' chain-link fence)..some critters that don't don't like strangers live back there as well.

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Heaven help someone making their way into the backyard (they'd have to climb a 6' chain-link fence)..some critters that don't don't like strangers live back there as well.

Before my Newfoundland was put down I had 200 pounds of big black dog roaming inside our 5 foot chain link fence. He likely wouldn't have attacked someone but he would hair up, bark and growl at strangers. 200 pounds of growling dog will stop you in your tracks. I seen it happen several times.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I am. Helped me find the sweet waterfront rental I just moved in to.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm on my local one. Don't post about anything but read to keep up with what's happening.

I'm sorta skeeved out by the fact that they want real info on you. Real name, your actual house number, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.