Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anybody know how long a float from Oso (221st Bridge) to Cicero would take in the current flows?

Has anyone done this or a similar float recently? If so, is there anything to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Isn't that from above Cicero. You all best read the regs.
We can just ask you Jimbo!

I've never floated the NF Stilly, would like too, but have friends who have. Post a report after you get back if you do!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Haven't been farther down past the hell hole this year (first major creek dumping into the north fork down river from Oso) but I did recently hike from Fortson to Boulder River. There is NO way I would take a watercraft through there. The river has changed significantly after last winter and in many spots you couldnt even fit a pack raft through the log jams. Sweeper city. Dragging around would be incredibly annoying and time consuming.

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
Please be careful....there are a few spots you simply won't be able to float through and you'll have to physically carry your boat over gravel bars, otherwise you're stuck in a log jam and will die.

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Haven't been farther down past the hell hole this year (first major creek dumping into the north fork down river from Oso) but I did recently hike from Fortson to Boulder River. There is NO way I would take a watercraft through there. The river has changed significantly after last winter and in many spots you couldnt even fit a pack raft through the log jambs. Sweeper city. Dragging around would be incredibly annoying and time consuming with the size of the jambs.
Shouldn't be a problem if you have a jamb saw.
:p

·
Registered
662 Posts
Please be careful....there are a few spots you simply won't be able to float through and you'll have to physically carry your boat over gravel bars, otherwise you're stuck in a log jam and will die.
There are enough tight jams that it defeats the purpose of floating and sometimes dragging around isn't as easy as it sounds on that river during low flows.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ended up hiking from Fortson to the the Boulder River. The water is way low. I was actually up that way on Friday too, and I ran into 2 guys that were floating Fortson to Whitman. I can't imagine that was a very enjoyable float, given how low the water is.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Floated Whitman to Cisero Sunday in my 2 man pontoon. First and definitely last time in that boat. We had to carry it over several sand bars and walk it through numerous shallow sections. Not to mention the end where we had to literally disassemble the boat to get it up the take out and past the two trucks parked blocking the path out. If you have a small light toon or something similar probably wouldn't be too bad, but be prepared to carry it at least a few hundred yards through the course of the trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.