Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell, the NF Stilly closed on August 31 and will not open up again until November 1. However, this past weekend while driving out to Darrington, I noticed lots of vehicles parked in many of the typical access points for the river. We decided to check things out at one of the pull-outs and found a couple of guys with fly gear fishing.

I tried to do my civic duty and let them know that the river was closed, but they claimed that they had checked the internet and that the river was open for trout fishing.

Am I missing something? I can't find any updated opening notices for the Stilly. Thanks.

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
As far as I can tell, the NF Stilly closed on August 31 and will not open up again until November 1. However, this past weekend while driving out to Darrington, I noticed lots of vehicles parked in many of the typical access points for the river. We decided to check things out at one of the pull-outs and found a couple of guys with fly gear fishing.

I tried to do my civic duty and let them know that the river was closed, but they claimed that they had checked the internet and that the river was open for trout fishing.

Am I missing something? I can't find any updated opening notices for the Stilly. Thanks.
You're right; they're wrong.

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Operating system
I just looked at the emergency rule changes, and I don't see it closed. I know how hard the regs can be though, and am not saying it's open, so I am confused too.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Every September and October I hear the same thing from folks who are fishing the Samish behind my house. They claim they aren't fishing for salmon, just fooling around for trout and that it is open for trout. It isn't, it has been closed to fishing from August 31 between the I-5 bridge and the hatchery just above Old Hwy 99 for at least 6 years. And the regs clearly state this.

The WDFW enforcement officers hand out tickets every year in this area. A WDFW biologist who live just up the street from me has told me they tell him the same thing about fooling around for trout. He calls them in on his cell phone when they don't just accept what he says and leave.

It amazes me how often folks claim they can't understand the very plain and simple language in the regs.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Take a monthly fishing news paper, most of with is Washington State oriented. Rare to find anything referring to Oregon. That said, I just have to roll my eyes at the frequent changes to the Washington Regulations. What you read is 'Good for today, tomrrow is a different day.'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.