Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by Hazel today and there were 6-10 gear chuckers in the hole and down river. I don't bother to tell people what's what anymore (unless they hook a fish). Why doesn't WDFW place signs on the major Stilly access points informing "Fly Only Water"?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nailknot, it is your duty as a total pimp flyfisher to tell those clowns to beat it. So wish I could of been there. I'm not avocating violence, but if someone poach's in my presence, they will hear about it. It's my duty, for the fish. I'll take a beating to save some fish, it's the least I can do. YT:smokin oh yeah, call the po-po too.;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah, YT doesn't advocate violence. He just enjoys seizing those precious long awaited opportunities to flex his authorita to the fullest. Bait chuckers beware! :p

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Bob
I agree, but here is something for all to think about and maybe as a group we can do something. Every week as a collective group we see BIG poaching problems. Lets say we as a group all decide to report violations in mass. Instead of shrugging our shoulders and going on we CALL. Report what we see. That is what is in the regs. Lets say we keep doing this until we get a response and educate the brick heads. Nobody hates a poacher more than myself, so lets do it in an organized effort and let the MAN know that there is a problem. If we don't call the MAN doesn't know. We can use the same tactics the greenies use, and maybe it is time! If every weekend the Man gets a 100 or so calls they will wake up and if not we all have our reps in the legislature and we write and call. That is what it is going to take. We can bitch all we want but it is going to take an active stance! If we become activists to preserve we can be heard. The squeaky wheel gets oiled!

Dave

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dave, I hear ya barking on this one, something, anything, must be done. I kinda felt like my previous post was a bit misleading. I'm not a tuff guy, but I have never ever walked away from a poacher without saying something. I always start off explaining the rules, they tell me to "f-off", I try to be nice, but they never get it. I have been close to blows on numerous occasions. I just can't let it go, bugs the hell out of me. I care that much. I'm the guy that will someday get shot by a poacher, It will be on the news, I hope my funeral is nice. Maybe I should better spend my time in a more positive way. Why can't we post signs on the river. The law?? like they have the time to remove our handy work. Would they rather remove signs that state the rules than just go staight to the source and bust these knuckle heads??? Knowing how back asswards things are, they will problaly remove the signs and the problem will continue. Sad, isn't it? :-( YT

·
Registered
3,280 Posts

I am saying it is time for a GROUP effort. One person is never heard. It takes a group of dedicated people to effect a change! The HECK with talking to the indivicual jerk. Call and report, and everyone on this site does the same on the same day and all the time. Let the MAN know and keep at it.
Lets pick a day and when we are out we report the violators, even if it means we miss a few hours of fishing. Everyone here dedicates themself to it and protest in a legal manner in just the way the regs. tell us to do it.
I don't care if it is an 8 year old or an 80 year old. See them and report them. If we pick a day to start this in mass and keep at it change will happen, and if not call, email our reps and let them know.
We only have to pick a date to sart and then let it roll. We have to start as a group in mass and then keep at it. Letter and e mail campaigns to follow. Gee we all have computers. How long does it take to bang out a few e mails to reps and the game dept.
Dave

·
Registered
777 Posts
1-800-477-6224. Add it to you cell phone, it's the Poacher hotline for the WDFW. Call them in, if no one comes in a half hour, break out Mr. Louis.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
No point in picking a day, start tomorrow or the next time you hit the water and see illegal activity. If I remember correctly, from a previous post, you can also call the local or state police. Especially on the weekend when you might not get a response from a WDFW officer. You might also consider getting lisence plate numbers and brief descriptions of the vehicles in the area to pass on too give the authorities something to go on. I'm sure that many of these guys are out there frequently!

I am hesitant to confront an individual poacher, since I definitely don't want to get into a fight or worse. Unless of course Bob, ******, or others were there to back me up.

Definitely time to try and coordinate our efforts! Good thread here!

Bill

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the number Ryan. I had my phone and would have called in- WDFW says call the State Patrol. What was interesting about Hazel Sunday, is there were several groups throwing gear. Obviously they had no idea.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
If in doubt, don't confront!!!!!!!!!!

I would politely inform that they are fishing illegally. But I would NEVER confront ANYONE. Call the poachers hotline during WEEKDAY fishing ONLY!!! They don't answer on the weekends. You must call the Washington State Patrol on the weekends, they inform the officers from there. I know first hand, have tried calling the hotline on sat/sun, get refered to call the WSP, unless they changed it since last October.

Onto confronting. I've seen this FIRST HAND. This was mostly PRE cell phone, but have seen even within last couple years. I have actually seen guns pulled. Have made reports, and have called via my cell (if I had coverage). Problem with someone pulling a gun, a cellphone isn't going to help if they pull the trigger. Normally a person who pulls a gun for that stupid of a reason, has more of a chance of squeezing that trigger to avoid a ticket/jail (I know, stupid, but guys do it). Most guys who knowingly poach, sometimes will pack. I simply do as I say above. Politely tell them that they are in the wrong. Then, if I get a shrug or a "F O", I make a phone call. When I say polite, I mean "Hey, isn't this river closed to fishing/gear fishing/etc". If I get a "NO, or a I don't think so" I inform them. Then, what they do from there dictates my move. Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, I understand that, but I prefer to educate someone who's not in the know then to punish. Would rather have them have a respect for fellow fisherman/women then think we're snobs or arses. I know I've informed one gentleman with his son on the Satsop a few years ago. Was fishing out of season (I was doing a scout float to check out the river to see if it had changed, no gear on board). Explained things to him, and have seen him many a times over the years now. He has given me a thanks, and I've even helped him with appropriate gear as well. Watched him go from unprepared, to well outfitted. I guess I prefer to try and reform if possible (you can tell by body gestures and facial expressions if they are doing it on purpose or not). Heck, you may even take a guy and make a fishing buddy that way. Maybe even be a mentor to someone. Can happen.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
If in doubt, don't confront!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I have informed people about this from time to time. I think that because Hazel is so close to the road that people that drive by will stop and look and see that big pool and figure that there is no one around that then they will fish it. I have found a whole passel of bait stuff on the ground around that hole. Yeah,power bait costs alittle and I found 3 jars of it. No I don't use it but my granddaughter does(can't get her into fly fishing).

But back to poaching,I told some people that that river was closed to gear and bait and this was the stupid answer I got "but we're not fishing for trout but only Whitefish" They were camping under the bridge at C.Post. You used to be able to drive under the bridge but the changing river changed all that.

Jim

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
two pennies...

I've been reading this and trying to decide what I will do if I see poaching/snagging/general rule violations going on. Here's what I came up with, most of the time I have a camera with me, sometimes video. Nothing like proof to hang someone's ass, I say. So I'll snap a few or run some tape and share it with the proper authorities. No need to lecture, most of these self absorbed bastards don't care or they wouldn't be poaching to begin with. This includes the folks on the docks with undersized crabs of both sexes in their pots. Tell it like it is folks...if you can't follow the rules, get the hell out of the pool!

:professor

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I fish a lot and consequently run into a lot of, lets call them "Dirt Balls". I also can't keep my mouth shut, so I came up with a fairly non confrontational way to make my point. I simply say, "You boys know that's illegal?", and my response no matter what they say is, " Just wanted to make sure you KNEW that it was illegal".
Almost always takes care of the problem.
But I don't think that they, are the meat of the problem.
I would ask that you consider this,
WDFW wants to reduce pressure on a resource and has neither the desire or (supposedly) the resources to do so.
So write a reg., post it and know that , what, 90% of the people will obey.
There, you've achieve your goal with no cost and justified an increased budget, on the backs of the law abiding public.
Think it ain't so?
Vandals destroy and litter a camping area. Punish them? No, close it to the law abiding public. Does that stop the vandals. Nooo, but institute FEES to pay for the damage and supposed enforcement, increase your budget and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
Who pays more, the user or the abuser?
Seems there might be a pattern here. No enforcement, more problems that require a higher budget (read fees) that doesn't go to problem solving but to a larger bureaucracy which increases the justification for higher salaries for mgmt., and on and on...... Could be that crime does pay, in more ways than one.
Could it be that there is more $$$ in rehabilitation of of neglected resource than managing an existing, healthy resource. Look at who is responsible for the two tasks.
Managing an existing resource; enforcement personal and other "LOW" level employees.
Rehabilitation of an abused resource; biologists, engineers, upper level mgmt.
Not jumping on enforcement staff, just not enough of them to go around. But walk into any WDFW office and look at the coffee cups walking around.
Makes me want to puke.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
To bad the WSFW does not let a few of us have a few ticket books. As a group we all could write enough tickets to do away with the Washington State buget short fall in less then a year. Seems like no matter what type of fishing I do, I find those out there fishing illegally. Sometime it does good to tell them the regulations. When they are fishing with kids in tow this almost always works. They do not what to give the kids ideas about breaking laws I guess. Its the ones without kids with them that are more likely to not give a dam. The ones with kids seem to listen even got one guy to pinch down all his barbs when I told him about since his daughter had been in the hospital the day before getting a hook removed from her face. Got to give her credit she was fishing again the next day. This guy had never heard of barbless hooks before and after telling him about he put the pliers to the whole tackle box. Of course it was for his daughter safety not the fishes but still.
So WSFW give me and some of the other hard core guys and gals on this site some ticket books and the right to write tickets. Instead of paying us give us just court cost if needed and maybe 1% of the ticket and we will make you plenty of $. Plus within a couple of years people will not want to break the law because we are everywhere in this state as a group.

·
AKA Beadhead
493 Posts
Here's another way to look at it. Most people are out there to fish and have a good time and not to poach (even if they are doing just that). The other point is the regs truly are damned confusing. We as a group will study them because we are interested in fishing as a hobby and not just for "somethin' to do". If you try to be their buddy and tell them that you'd hate to see them get a ticket from the game warden then you are putting yourself on their side. I find they'll usually make a few more casts then split after thinking about it.

If they have illegal wild steelhead or salmon on the bank, phone it in to the state patrol!

BH:thumb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.