Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Was there a baetis hatch and did you try a 18-20 blue winged olive? I have seen then show a surprising selectivity when the baetis flies are coming off.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The baetis is a small olive bodied, blue winged mayfly that emerges from approximately 11-4 most fall days. This fly is the primary mayfly hatch on many Washington streams (e.g. Yakima, Stilly, Skykomish) in September, October and November. The flies are tiny (size 18-24) and are easy to overlook unless you know what you are looking for or your nose is down on the surface of the water. Because the flies are so small the rises are just dimples. It makes no sense for a fish to waste a lot of energy with a splashy rise for an insect that small. You can imitate the fly with a 18-22 Adams or blue-winged olive parachute fly. You have to put your fly right on the rise form or you won't get the fish to take. Ask your fly shop to show you what they look like or send me your address in a private post and I'll mail you some sample flies. I always have a few tucked in my sea-run fly box just in case.

The rise form you describe could have been to an insect hatching just below or in the surface film. Could have been a baetis or who knows what.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I hope it isn't. Only one should have the kind of luck that I'm having.

I fished the N.Fork today but before I fished it I took the Mountain Loop Hiway just to see what the upper Sauk looked like. I went from Granite Falls to the N.Fork. The S.fork from Boardman creek up looks like a babbling brook,almost no water. Fished the Sauk below Elliot creek(closed above it). Very low. Had a few hits a LDR on two of them. Well after that I went to the N.fork. I started out off of the Oso loop rd. And if any one catches a Sea run with a Royal Wulff in its jaw with leader attached,it's mine. This was below the bridge there. I had another good hit but my fly didn't have a point on the end. I guess drying them on the rocks doesn't do them any good. I was using just one kind of fly, a Royal Wulff. Went from there to the access at 127th. No body there. Started out at the hole at the launcyh site. Saw a dead fish there and that was all. The wind came up and I was using a 4wt. Kind of hard it the wind. Called it a day.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fished the N.F. yesterday, found some just like silverbrown said - pretty skittish, picky. Finally got them moving on a small adams or tied down caddis. Something with a dark body and low profile seemed to work. Great fun finding decent cutts working like that though. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.