Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little surprised that the baseball fans here have not mentioned the USA's brilliant run through the WBC to take the championship. There was some incredible baseball played in the past month and in the end the USA simply dominated all of their opponents with stellar starting and relief pitching. At my age I may not see another one of these so I am particularly pleased that my country won it this time.

Last night's game showed me something we seldom see in sports anymore-class and great sportsmanship. The WBC championship is something the Latin American countries are very passionate about and for Puerto Rico to lose so decisively had to be a tough pill to swallow. In PR baseball is bigger than any sport is in America and the entire country was living and dying with every pitch. Yet when they lost instead of running into the clubhouse like so many losing teams do they gathered along the 3rd base line and watched as the Americans circled the field while holding the stars and stripes overhead. Once the Americans finished circling the field the Puerto Ricans greeted them with an ovation-when have you seen that before? Then they congratulated the USA players with handshakes, hugs and smiles and good will all around.

I have been watching sports on TV since TV started and don't think I have ever seen anything to equal what I watched last night. Sure, there are always the obligatory handshakes at the end of games but most seem disingenuous at best with congratulations being spit through clenched teeth.

My hat is off to the USA team who won without the help of the very best players who chose to sit out. And another tip of the hat to the Puerto Ricans who lost with class and dignity.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I couldn't get the telecasts. I got the last game but it was in Spanish. For some reason, sports doesn't have the hold on me like it used to. I watched a few of the spring training games and didn't recognize anybody from last years Mariners team. They must have really flip flopped the team this year.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
I couldn't get the telecasts. I got the last game but it was in Spanish. For some reason, sports doesn't have the hold on me like it used to. I watched a few of the spring training games and didn't recognize anybody from last years Mariners team. They must have really flip flopped the team this year.
That is because many of the Mariner's regulars were playing in the WBC.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree completely, was great to see that level of sportsmanship. Equally nice seeing the U.S.A. win, but all threw the event there has been stellar play by all teams. Very enjoyable viewing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.