Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Who wins the Classic vs Modern Baseball All Star best-of-7 series?

• The Modern all stars DESTROY the Classic players

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • The Classic all stars MOP UP the Modern players

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It's close, but the Modern players take it

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Pretty tough, but the Classic players take it

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Who cares, I just want to see these games with my buddies and drink beer!

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Mingo, you are on crack

Votes: 5 21.7%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baseball lovers unite! All Star time is here............imagine for a moment the Field Of Dreams is a real place. That Iowa cornfield just opened up a new wormhole to the past for a best-of-7 series between the Classic Baseball All Stars and the Modern All-Star Team of choice. If you love baseball as I do, imaginary contests like these make you drool. Imagine the Babe stepping in against CC Sabathia or Lefty Grove trimming the tip of Albert Pujol's nose like an eskimo with an ulu knife, then standing on the mound egging him to charge..............imagine Ty Cobb being interviewed by Bob Costas, and his reaction when Costas tells him we have a black president......:rofl:

I do not think modern players are pussies.............not even close. I think there are some truly awesome ballplayers in the game today, guys who would damn near kill themselves competing in a Classic All Star series against these titans of the past. But I also do not think the Classic players of the deadball and 1920s/30s era teams get their just due when it comes to matchup discussions against modern players. I think too much stock is placed on "modern training", weightlifting and "athleticism", whatever the hell that means. Being able to high jump 6 feet or dunk a basketball doesn't mean you can take Mariano Rivera downtown 450 feet…..and the old time ballplayers were one hell of a lot more athletic than they get credit for.

What is at stake? $1,000,000 in cash to each member of the winning team and bragging rights for eternity. Cash is still handy in the afterlife and Ruth will spend his on hookers and booze long before the cornfield beckons them back to heaven.

Series Format: Equalizers are in place to make this fun to watch and as fair as possible. Here are the equalizers:

Games 1 and 2 - Modern equipment and rules will be used. The Classic players can use their hunks-of-beef -jerkey gloves if they want, but I think someone like Honus Wagner will immediately see the benefit of a modern glove versus his hand-size piece of hide. Batting helmets are required. Yeah Babe, you gotta wear one. Dont' worry, you'll still look cool......and I'm sure you'll get laid before and after every game. Modern clubhouses will be used, including Air Conditioning, massages and clean water. Just keep the Babe away from the sandwich platter until after the game! Fresh baseballs will be used constantly, just like usual. Imagine the Babe, Cobb, Sisler and Hornsby getting to swing at a WHITE baseball for a change! I wonder if that extra visibility will help them pick up the pitch? Modern pitching rules are in force- no spitballs, cutballs, shineballs allowed. Brushbacks will happen, but are so frowned upon now that a pitcher will be warned immediately and will likely get tossed by the ump. Grove will need to tone down his temper. Modern bats, batting gloves and body armor can be used. I wonder if Gehrig and Hack Wilson can generate some bat speed with a 28 oz ash whip like the ones McGwire used? The designated hitter rule is in effect.

Games 3 and 4 - Classic-era equipment and rules will be used. that's right. A-Rod and Jeter MUST to use a hand-size hunk of T-bone for a glove, just like Lajoie, Gehringer, Foxx, Ruth and Speaker had to use. Good luck guys.....Classic Clubhouses will be used. NO air conditioning. No plasma screen TVs. No "relaxation lounges". No batting cages. NO BATTING HELMETS! ARod gets to bat wearing just his hat. Just like they did in the Classic age. Yep, you might take one in the melon and end up in the morgue or with serious brain damage. Still want to do this Alex? Oh, and NO BATTING GLOVES! Oh, better watch that blister big fella! New baseballs will NOT be used every pitch. The ball will be used until it is so dirty brown it looks like a giant Milk Dud, just like the ones Mickey Cochran and Bill Dickey had to swing at and catch every game. NO BODY ARMOR. Woops........did the Big Train's sidearm heater get a little too close to your ribcage Ichiro? Are you gonna charge the mound? Are you gonna cry? no, he won't cry....like I said, the modern players are NOT pussies. I thnk they will do everything they can to win. But I wonder who will opt out of the series, fearing for their own safety and endorsement deals down the road?

Damn wouldn't this be fun to watch! Here is the killer.......ONLY CLASSIC-ERA BATS WILL BE USED. No super-light modern whips.....plain old heavy hickory or other Classic-era wood will be the only bats allowed, with thinner barrels and thicker handles. I remember watching some modern All Stars a couple years ago try to hit using these ancient war clubs. It was pretty funny to watch, they did very poorly using them...it looked like a little kid trying to swing daddy's bat. Classic pitching rules are in force. Spitballs? Cool! Brushbacks? Hey, you missed him, try again! Oh, and no designated hitters allowed. Pitchers hit for themselves.

Game 5 - Modern Equipment and Rules

Game 6 - Classic Equipment and Rules

Game 7 - coin toss decides the rules

A couple key point to consider - do NOT rely on the tired and easy lines you hear so often, like "these guys couldn't even stand on the same field with Albert Pujols or Derek Jeter, today's players are so much better and more athletic" or "those guys never played against integrated teams, they would get killed in games against modern players" nonsense. Think about it first. The main reason a lot of people today think the ballplayers of yesterday sucked is because the actors that played them in the movies sucked. John Goodman is not Babe Ruth and Ray Liotta sure as hell ain't Shoeless Joe Jackson. As for the clowns trying to look like ballplayers in "8 Men Out" ???? what a joke…………..

Classic-age MLB stars did play lots of games against ***** League all stars. They beat those all-star teams and got beat by them in other games, but they did play against each other on a regular basis. Satchel Paige was in his early 20s when he gave up a 480 foot homer to Babe Ruth when Ruth was 42 and retired. Don't think for one second Paige was easing up on the Babe....not on your life. This Classic All Star Team is integrated anyway, to capture some of the prodigious talent of the ***** League stars of yesteryear.......heh!

The top pitchers of that time threw ridiculously hard. Paige and Johnson were both stated on good authority to have legit 100+ mph fastballs. Paige's was witnessed by Buck O'Neill, a ***** League star and Paige teammate and frequent guest on baseball talk shows until his death a few years ago. Johnson's fastball speed was verified not only by his opponents but was verified by several people including Clark Griffith, who witnessed Bob Feller's speed measurement using a police motorcycle and said "Bobby is quick, but Walter was faster".

Ruth and Foxx were prodigious sluggers in a day when stadium configurations did not favor home runs and the rules were different. In their heyday, a homer that passed the foul pole in fair territory but hooked and landed in foul territory was a foul ball. By today's standards, Babe Ruth would have hit 106 dingers in 1926, with very few pitches in the strike zone to swing at.

To be considered for my Field of Dreams Classic All-Star Team, each player had to have started his Major or ***** League career no later than the 1930s. I trimmed and trimmed and limited it to a 26-man roster. I had to leave off some incredible talent to keep the roster this small.....people like Al Simmons, Frankie Frisch, Sam Crawford, Paul and Lloyd Waner and all the Delahanty brothers plus Dizzy Dean and many othersl got cut. The assumption is that all of the Classic All Star players arrive for the series at age 27, their physical prime. This seems fair given they are all dead and have to compete against young bucks who grew up with good medical care, innoculations from disease, toothpaste, anitbiotics, safe painkillers and vitamins.

Mingo's Classic All Star Team:

Manager: John McGraw (imagine the fireworks if he thinks the umps made a bad call against him!)

Outfielders: Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker , Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Cool Papa Bell, Oscar Charleston

SS- Honus Wagner - 'nuff said. He plays every inning of every game. Try and pull him out and you'll get a fat lip from those giant veiny arms!

1B- Lou Gehrig, George Sisler

3B- Jimmie Foxx, Mel Ott (Foxx played third at times and I want his bat in there!)

2B- Nap Lajoie, Rogers Hornsby , Charlie Gehringer (Gehringer or Hornsby could spell Wagner if he got hurt, but it would take a bullet to keep him out for the whole series)

C - Mickey Cochran, Bill Dickey , Josh Gibson (I predict some nasty collisions at the plate)

Designated Hitters- Babe Ruth, Hack Wilson

Starting Pitchers- Lefty Grove, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson , Cy Young

Relievers - Babe Ruth, Carl Hubbel, Satchel Paige

What about guys like Cobb? How would he do against the modern players? I'd sure like to see for myself. Imagine Ichiro at 6'1" with more power and the same superhero speed......and a VERY nasty disposition.

Think of the other awesome events planned for the Classic vs Modern Series:

Bud Selig gives Cy Young a………. Cy Young award

Babe Ruth and David Ortiz compete in a "who has the widest face" contest

Babe Ruth takes on everyone in beer guzzling and hot dot eating

Jimmie Foxx and Albert Pujols in bench press and barrel-of-nails lifting contests

Ichiro and Cool Papa Bell in a 100-meter sprint

And just imagine the home running hitting contest..............good lord that would be entertaining.

Okay................put your team together and share your opinions. You get to choose any players who started their careers in the 1980s or later. Anyone you want. Who wins? Do the Classic players of old even stand a chance?

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Wow, what an awesome thread. Something my buddies and I have talked alot about. At 30 years old I am only familiar with "modern" players, so I really have nothing concrete to base this on, but I think the classic players take this based on the fact that modern players would be at a much bigger disadvantage using classic equipment than the classic players would be using modern equipment. It may take the old guys a little bit to get used to a big glove, but I think they would get the hang of it in a hurry.

I also think, and this is strictly a guess, that modern players as a whole lack "heart" that I often attribute to those classic stars. Hell the Yankees and Red Sox have put together, for all intents and purposes, all star teams for many years yet are still not a lock to beat even their own division, let alone the the National league. Maybe its just me dreaming about what it must have been like in the good old days, but I like to imagine that they wouldn't have some of the giant ego problems that would bound to come up on a modern day dream team.

If I could assemble a starting lineup to take on the classics and have a fighting chance, it would go something like this:

1. Ichiro RF His ability to get on base and make things happen, combined with his timely hitting with runners on base, and his superb defensive skills make him a prime lead off hitter. May have some ego/meshing problems, but oh well. So would Rickey.

2. Craig Biggio- 2nd base Ok, so I could come up with bigger names, but I think guys like this would have succeeded in the classic era with his hard nose, never give up style of play, and that type of player would be needed in such a series.

3. Ken Griffey Jr. CF Need I really explain this one?

4. Gotta take Pujols at 1st.

5. I'm going with Omar Vizcuel at SS here based on 2 things: He is a defensive wizard, which would be necessary to win such a hard fought series, and he is a very solid hitter. I figure with Griffey and Pujols knocking in all the runs ahead of him, a guy here who can get on base and keep the inning going is a solid choice. Plus I just have always loved the guy and this is my team, damnit.

6. Just for the hometown nod, and the fact that I think he is one of the greatest right handed hitters ever, I'm going with Edgar Martinez at 3rd base. Since this is just a fantasy I can pretend he is still young enough to play 3rd. I'm picturing Pujols clearing the bases, Viszcuel getting on anyway possible, then Edgar driving him home from first with doubles down the right field line.

7. Not sure about a DH, but I figure could use one when the modern rules apply, so with that said I'd go with.......er.... um....How's about Vlad Guerrero in his prime. I realize my lineup is a bit jumbled, and I am missing so many players, but with the guys in front of him he would have plenty of RBI chances, not to mention setting the table for

8. Catcher- Pudge Rodriguez. Best catcher I've ever seen play.

9. Tony Gwynn- LF. Amazing with the bat, and always a hard nosed player.

Starting pitcher.... That's a tough one. For sheer tough guys willing to do anything to get the job done, its hard to beat Schilling. I'm trying to avoid the bigger steroid names out of my own feelings on the matter, so I'm leaving Clemens off the list. Maybe a guy like Greg Maddux for someone not going to overpower anyone. Can't forget Nolan Ryan, or Randy Johnson either. I think if I had to choose it would come down to RJ or Schilling.

Anyway, was sure fun to fantasize about this. I could spend hours drooling up scenarios, but I only had a short time here at work.

Nick

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
If we can agree to no designated hitter, no mid-season inter-league play, no All Star game that determines the World Series advantage, no Bud Selig and most of all-no Joe Buck and Tim McCarver calling the game, I'm in. Vin Scully could make the game more interesting on radio than any of today's motor mouthed ex jock announcers could do on television.

Nice line-up Mingo. I think the old timers would give modern players fits. The modern guys have been coddled and pampered almost from birth and seem to lack the fire and intensity of even the guys I remember from back in the 40's. Pay was low back then and competition was fierce. No sitting on an air conditioned bench making a million five a year as a banjo hitting utility player who can't hit his own weight. Many modern pitchers make more in one outing than the old timers made in a lifetime. Incentive was high to excel and there were not other sports to go into so it was be good at baseball or go back to the farm. Nowadays if you can't hit a baseball you can always take up golf! Talk about pussies-the ball doesn't even move.........

The steroid era has clouded the legacy of the modern players and it is hard to determine who was great and who was juiced. No question about the old timers, they might have been a little hung over but they were the real deal. I think such a series would be very close with both era's having significant strengths. In the end it would probably be determined much like most modern series are by who has the better matchups and makes the best managerial moves.

Ive

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
Ah, great thread, I've no arguments with any of these, but just a few quesitons....

1. Jackie Robinson. Player of old? Yeah, I think so, and I'm putting him at first, with double x at 3rd. Can't leave him off...his baseball accomplishments overshadowed by his societal ones that we forget what a great ballplayer he was. By the way, remember, he retired rather than become a Giant. I'm a Giant fan, but a bigger fan of loyalty.

2. Ozzie Smith....old or modern? Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Stan Musial?

3. Fisk/Munson, maybe new, 'cause Campanella's gotta catch the old guys. And Rodriguez, as good as he is, well, he's in the bullpen. Where do we stick Johnny Bench, or Berra?

4. In any event, could we bring back Bart Giamatti? Just for a day?

So many great names, great games. I figure the old guys win, simply because the field won't be covered with blowing paper and it ain't 483 to center. but I'm taking whatever team Mays is on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, great thread, I've no arguments with any of these, but just a few quesitons....

1. Jackie Robinson. Player of old? Yeah, I think so, and I'm putting him at first, with double x at 3rd. Can't leave him off...his baseball accomplishments overshadowed by his societal ones that we forget what a great ballplayer he was. By the way, remember, he retired rather than become a Giant. I'm a Giant fan, but a bigger fan of loyalty.

2. Ozzie Smith....old or modern? Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Stan Musial?

3. Fisk/Munson, maybe new, 'cause Campanella's gotta catch the old guys. And Rodriguez, as good as he is, well, he's in the bullpen. Where do we stick Johnny Bench, or Berra?

4. In any event, could we bring back Bart Giamatti? Just for a day?

So many great names, great games. I figure the old guys win, simply because the field won't be covered with blowing paper and it ain't 483 to center. but I'm taking whatever team Mays is on.

Thanks.
Great input so far guys! Guy, Robinson was a phenomenal ballplayer but he didn't start his career in the ***** Leagues until 1945 and he famously broke the stupid and repulsive color barrier in the major leagues in 1947.

I limited my Classic all stars to guys who started either a Major or ***** League career no later than the 1930s. The era from 1940 to 1980 is considered to be a mix of Golden Age (whatever that means) and modern styles of play. Granted there are some incredible talents who fall into those years...Mantle, Mays, Musial etc......so if you want, go ahead and compile your own Golden Age team with Robinson and those guys. There is no reason we can't make this a tournament! Heh! Now you've gone and made this even more interesting.

Nick, that is a good lineup. Biggio and some guys like George Brett, Jay Buhner and Tug McGraw always seemed like throwback players to me, guys who could show up at a tryout in 1910 and make a team because they'd stand in and fistfight the veterans at spring training. There were a lot of fistfights back in those days. The old guys didn't like the punks trying to take their jobs and as Ive said, it was baseball or the coal mine or the farm.....not much else. That is why I think the 'athleticism' excuse is a joke. These guys were big men for any age. If they stood up next to modern big leaguers, their size would match up very closely. One difference would be the ugliness factor. Old time ballplayers were usually not as groomed and as "pretty" by our standards, many of them were downright scary to look at....another factor of a hardscrabble life with lots of physical labor.

I still think the right lineup of modern players would make this really interesting to watch, but you'd need guys who just want to prove themselves the best in the game, safety be damned. Lawyers would be banned from "negotiating" any special considerations for guys like A-Rod, if he wants to play. He shows up, bats wearing a hat in the Classic-rules games and uses a heavy bat.

I think many of the modern players will surprise with their innate toughness. Maybe more of the Latin-born players who grew up in more similar environs to the Classic players of old, with fewer options.....but some good old USA-born guys will step up and make this a cool series to be sure.

However, I have long maintained that if today's baseball fan could watch Babe Ruth, Jimmie Foxx, Ty Cobb, Josh Gibson and the rest play baseball, they would be shocked by just how awesome those guys really were. In their time, or any other time. And it would fun to see pitchers use that goofy (to our eyes) reverse-windmill windup some of them used and the natural, "hitch" batting styles many of the Classic-era players used. Those hitches would be coached right out of a talented kid today by too many clinics and too many "Hitting The Scientific Way" DVDs. The field is the same size, the ball is round, the grass is green and the players want to play. The main difference is the hunger, the attitude and the money guys make today.

Great way to start this off dudes! :)

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Going for an all steroids team. Each of my players are required to have, in honor of the matches, a Rolly Fingers Mustache and caps covered with pine tar and or vaseline, and their stirrup socks pulled very high, their mouths absolutely packed with chew, aluminum foil in their batting gloves kinda like the Hanson brothers in Slapshot (so when the fight goes down, it is spectacular) and hip flasks to help mellow the times when the old timers are complaining about all the stuff old people complain about, like joint pains and tertiary neurosyphilis:

1st base: Rafael Palmeiro
2nd base: Brett Boone
3rd base: A-Rod
SS: Miguel Tejada
Outfield: Jose Canseco, Gary Sheffield, Barry Bonds
Catcher: Benito Santiago
Pitcher: Roger- the Rocket- Clemmons, Andy Pettite
Closer: Eric Gagne
DH: Jason Giambi

I also want an asshole manager: Pete Rose so we can throw a little curve ball on the outcome, which, of course, in consultation with Mr Rose, we will wager upon, if it suits my team of dubious merit and motive.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Going for an all steroids team. Each of my players are required to have, in honor of the matches, a Rolly Fingers Mustache and caps covered with pine tar and or vaseline, and their stirrup socks pulled very high, their mouths absolutely packed with chew, aluminum foil in their batting gloves kinda like the Hanson brothers in Slapshot (so when the fight goes down, it is spectacular) and hip flasks to help mellow the times when the old timers are complaining about all the stuff old people complaign about:

I also want an asshole manager: Pete Rose so we can throw a little curve ball on the outcome, which, of course, in consultation with Mr Rose, we will wager upon, if it suits my team of dubious merit and motive.
In an all roids team I'd add Brady Anderson, just as he was the year he miraculously hit 50 bombs, as well as Adriene Beltre for the same.
Maybe throw Juan Gonzalez in there as well. Don't know if he was roided or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. That guy was an absolute terror at the plate for quite a while till the injury bug got him.

This is such a fun topic, cause there are so many different scenarios and lineups to come up with. Since I posted last night I've had several players pop into my head, such as Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, and honestly as much as I hate the guy Johnny Damon is the type of player I'd love to have on my team as a catalyst.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going for an all steroids team. Each of my players are required to have, in honor of the matches, a Rolly Fingers Mustache and caps covered with pine tar and or vaseline, and their stirrup socks pulled very high, their mouths absolutely packed with chew, aluminum foil in their batting gloves kinda like the Hanson brothers in Slapshot (so when the fight goes down, it is spectacular) and hip flasks to help mellow the times when the old timers are complaining about all the stuff old people complain about, like joint pains and tertiary neurosyphilis:

:rofl: Picking on the Babe I see! tertiary syphilis.....otherwise known as the "bellyache heard round the world"...:rofl:

Boot, your team is pumped up with deca and 'clear'........they would LOOK fierce...... but would they PLAY fierce? What do you think Boone would do if Cobb comes sliding into second with murder in his eyes and his file-honed spikes slashing for blood? Would he turn pussy and run into left field or would he hang in there and take his beating like a man and come up and deliver some payback?

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Let's face it, the cream and the clear are to baseball what indicators are to fly-fishing...pathetic I say, just pathetic... But then again, stakes is high. Now as for the hypothetical Cobb barreling into second with his spikes raised, I'd say there'd have to be an act of God to have Boone tag Cobb out. The only way I can see it happening is through a series of unlikely events:

1- Boone flips his cap off to field a high bouncing infield chopper with Cobb already on first
2- A gleaming stab of sunlight passes through a convenient hole in the marine layer, striking the golden hair of Bret Boone
3- Those peroxided threads would then have to focus and channel the sun's energy into a kind of death ray way more smokin' deadly than what Indy had in the Map room in Raiders
4- That beam would have to blind both of Cobb's eyes and burn all the way through Cobb's brain so that the man's inertia and aim is forever corrupted (think Drinky Crow and Uncle Gabby)

The only other way, Ken "Mingo" Burns, would involve Mr Palmeiro's surreptitious expression of a large amount of steroid induced bacne puss and debris over the base bag or path, clogging his claws with massive comedones, making the footing treacherous for even the great Cobb

Enough of this BS though, where are the other teams to compete with your historical giants? Mingo's thrown out a cool hypothetical challenge, let's see some others

·
Registered
648 Posts
All Stupid M’s Trade Team…..Guys We Lost Edition: In honor of the Cliff Lee trade.....(which I actually think was a good trade)

1st base: Tino Martinez
2nd base: Julio Cruz
3rd base: Mike Blowers
SS: Omar Vizquel
Outfield: Adam Jones, Dave Henderson, Shin-Soo Choo
Catcher: Jason Varitek
Pitcher: Derek Lowe, Mike Hampton
Set up: Jeff Nelson
Closer: Rafael Soriano
DH: David Ortiz

Not necessarily the best players the M's have ever traded, but trades where we got crap in return!
I know we traded Griffey and Randy, but Griffy was forced and Randy's was kinda as well, and in both cases we got something good in return.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The moment Cobb sees Boone's blonde foil-job hair streaks, there WILL be blood shed on the basepaths..............guaranteed.

Damn............Bamboo, that All-Mariners-Stupid-Trades team has some talent on it.......................I played golf with Derek Lowe once. Super cool guy.

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
It's too late for this old guy to post anything tonight, but I'll be back to comment on this one. Cool topic! I love baseball, probably because I can dig what happens on the field while pretty much ignoring the rest. And I was a member of Red Sox Nation before there was such a thing...geez.

Oh...better add Cliff Lee to the All-Time Stupid M's Trade Team.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Oh...better add Cliff Lee to the All-Time Stupid M's Trade Team.
Nah I left Lee off 'cause it didn't cost much to get him, and it sounds like we got at least two good prospects back....the All Stupid list is dumb lopsided trades...like Varitek and Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb!

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
All Stupid M's Trade Team…..Guys We Lost Edition: In honor of the Cliff Lee trade.....(which I actually think was a good trade)

1st base: Tino Martinez
2nd base: Julio Cruz
3rd base: Mike Blowers
SS: Omar Vizquel
Outfield: Adam Jones, Dave Henderson, Shin-Soo Choo
Catcher: Jason Varitek
Pitcher: Derek Lowe, Mike Hampton
Set up: Jeff Nelson
Closer: Rafael Soriano
DH: David Ortiz

Not necessarily the best players the M's have ever traded, but trades where we got crap in return!
I know we traded Griffey and Randy, but Griffy was forced and Randy's was kinda as well, and in both cases we got something good in return.
Out of the big three it was Randy that hurt me the most. He was always my favorite Mariner next to Edgar. Watching him stand on the mound and glare down the opponent then throwing a fastball up and in to a lefty followed by an absolutely unhittable slider down and away... god that never got old. And it sure seems like the M's just didn't want him back. Using the "bad back" excuse for not keeping him. Bad back... right. How many cy youngs did he win in AZ? Great move there. I was sad to see Griffey leave, but I couldn't fault him. He always said his family was what was important, and he wanted to play close to home. Never really had any beef with that.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People who enjoy baseball care, you crusty old sumbitch!!! It is a shame you don't care, as you are the only person on here old enough to have attended the 1909 World Series and watched Ty Cobb's Tigers get their asses handed to them by Honus Wagner's Pirates...............and you were already of legal drinking age at the time. :rofl: Too bad you didn't get his autograph when you had the chance, you'd be rich :rofl:

So far you guys think the Modern players would beat the Classics by a 3-2 vote. 4 people think I need to step away from the pipe :rofl: Let's see some other lineups other than Boot's 'Roid Ragers........................:thumb:

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Nah I left Lee off 'cause it didn't cost much to get him, and it sounds like we got at least two good prospects back....the All Stupid list is dumb lopsided trades...like Varitek and Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb!
Good Point. Like a lot of big trades, this one will take a while to assess. Smoak alone, if he's what they say he is, could make the deal worthwhile over time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.