Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR Anyone out there watch deadliest catch?

1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  ak_powder_monkey 
#1 ·
Just curious if there are others on the board who watch deadliest catch? The new season starts up in a few weeks and I'm pretty stoked for it. Im not sure why but this is my favorite show hands down. I guess just watching those guys endure the conditions up there to catch crab is really awesome. That and all the different characters on each boat makes for an interesting show. Any way I thought I would see what others here have to say about the show. kinda curious.:beer1::)

#2 ·
Love/hate. love the action. reminds me of my younger days. hate it when they show guys crying because they just found out their sister died. Give the guy some privacy.

#3 ·
In one show Sig Hansen mentioned a boat I used to work on, the American #1. I worked on it after it was converted from a crabber to a dragger. Thank Gawd.
bullet holes in a bulkhead down in the factory deck...ahhh, memories:rofl:

yeah, I watch it faithfully. damn shame about Phil.

#4 ·
Yeah I have seen every episode and I agree with you Jeff Bandy that when they showed the kid finding out about the passing of his sister that should not have made it on air. However when he was departing and sig came down and told him that his job would be waiting for him when he returned that was a pretty cool moment.

Yeah thats really to bad about phil. Hopefully his boys can carry on in his foot steps.

#9 ·
Yeah I have seen every episode and I agree with you Jeff Bandy that when they showed the kid finding out about the passing of his sister that should not have made it on air. However when he was departing and sig came down and told him that his job would be waiting for him when he returned that was a pretty cool moment.
That guy is a friend of mine. Not a close friend these days but an old skating buddy of mine and my brothers. We grew up in the same town and I knew/know his family.

Oddly, enough, I don't watch the show at all.

#11 ·
'reality' TV is a time filler, thats about it. when derby fishing was the norm, these guys really had their hands full. but that went away some years ago and now they can fish when they choose as their quota is predetermined. so all of that 'bad weather', well all i can say is there is zero reason to be out there when you already know your quota in advance, think about that one.

my BIL was out there during derby days, season after season, finally had crab poisoning for the second time, was airlifted and told that they could not get there in time if it happened again, end of salmon tendering->king crab->snow crab, that was the routine starting in september ending in february.

all i can say is things are not completely what they appear on TV. go on down to salmon terminal, collar an old hand and have a conversation of how it used-to-was.

#13 ·
Watched part of an episode once because I didn't know what it was about. Commercial fishing and crabbing is pretty repetitive. I can't imagine watching it on TV, but then I don't watch other people sport fish on TV either. I'd rather do things instead of watching other people do things.

Sg

#14 ·
I enjoy it occasionally. I salmon fished in the 70s and had a few friends on crabbers. Some ran crabbers later and may still.
One friend shared the best description I'd heard: "Take the worst day of the year in Seattle, run around Greenlake all day long, and stop every 15 minutes to get in a fist fight."
And yes, Phil seemed like a great guy. Way to young to go but, he was doing what he loved to the end.

#15 ·
Its cool to get other peoples opinions on the show and here about people on the board who have done similar work. I figured since a lot of the guys up there fish out of Seattle there would be a few guys on here that have commercially fished up in alaska and would have some interesting stories or first hand knowledge of what really goes on up there on a crab boat. Thanks to everyone for all the interesting comments.

#17 ·
We used to sell to some of those guys in Bristol bay, Phil was a real nice guy, I was sad to hear of his death. The pebble mine issue is something we should all wright our congressmen and senators about. They waNt to let a foriegn company put a huge damn and impoundment in the middle of the most pristine and productive salmon habitat in the world. They'll strip what ore they can, leave the country, and leave the mess for us to clean up! It's BULLSHIT!

#20 ·
One thing I miss a ton in commercial fishing, I miss the people, I miss the lifestyle, I miss the money. Nice to see commercial fishermen turned into heros. Too bad the derby's are gone though, lots of folks lost their livelyhood after RATZ you should see the signs in every shop window in Kodiak... Don Young sold the resource to a few processors, and the free market is over. Its pretty sad.

I should go crabbing here in SE sometime, not as scary, and its still derby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.