Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you take your wireless phone with you on your fishing trips. What carrier do you believe provides the best coverage in Washington, and in the NW? Are you happy with your wireless service provider? My contract is up, and I'm considering other service providers. AT&T and Verizon seem to be the top two, and their rates for unlimited call/data/text is pretty similar. Sprint (rates a little lower than AT&T and Verizon) and T-Mobile follow.

Your input is appreciated!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had sprint for several years now. Think I will switch soon. I have no coverage on rivers or anywhere in mountains. can't get service in North bend. The Skagit is dead and the Stilly above Arlington is dead. Don't even get but one bar in my house in Arlington.

Just for info...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Toss up between At&t and Verizon. My fishing buddy has one and I the other. We fish very remote, sometimes I have better coverage and sometimes the other way around. Had t mobile last year... terrible.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I've had them all too. Verizon hands down.

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
I terminated my AT&T contract early two years ago due to all the dropped calls I was getting. My family is still on AT&T, and I get cut off talking to them all the time. Their service really is garbage.

I switched to Verizon, and have had zero problems since. They also have the waterproof/bombproof Casio g'Zone phones, which was a big selling point for me.

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Currently on AT&T and it sucks! As soon as my contract is up, I'm ditching the iphone and stepping my game up to the 21st century with Verizon and the Droid X.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Second cattle guard up from Chopaka, Verizon........

KS - I like the garbage idea.
I have never owned my own cell phone. Every cell phone I have ever had has been provided for me by my employers. Nice, since I don't have to pay for it. Sucks, because they expect me to have it with me 24/7. Many times I have wanted to throw the thing in the river. I love the commercial where the guy is skipping rocks on the tropical beach and his cell phone rings. He then skips his phone across the water. I have wanted to do something like that many times. Cell phones suck.

Cell phones don't work at the bottom of Shumaker's grade. I love that place.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have t-mobile and i dont seem to get very good coverage in many of the places i fish. And for me that is a good thing, i hate being bothered while fishing and often just say i wont have service and turn off my phone.

-Connor

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've had AT&T for many years and I haven't had much problem with signal or dropped calls. I have better coverage at my property in Winthrop with AT&T than my friends have with Verizon. Coverage in the Bellingham area is very good with AT&T. Also, every year I go pheasant hunting in the Choteau MT area and my friends are always borrowing my phone to call home. It really depends on the area and since I have an iphone, right now I'm limited to AT&T. Rick

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
I have had Verizon for a long time and
it works all up and down the West Coast,
Dry Falls, Washington Coast, and 90% of the
Hood Canal.

Dave

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
The best carrier I've yet tried for cell signal reception in the hills is Verizon.

That said though, I switched to AT&T last fall when I bought an iPhone. Places where I had been able to enjoy a reliable signal from Verizon are now dead zones with AT&T. But some places where I had no signal from Verizon, I get a bar or three from AT&T.

Thanks to all the other iPhone users who enjoy AT&T's (formerly) unlimited data plan, I've had more dropped calls in the past 9 months than in the past 10 years. Fortunately, AT&T is no longer offering the all-you-can-eat data plan for new iPhone subscribers which should help with network overload. Also, Verizon will begin offering the iPhone 4 early next year, which should offload some of the load to their network. Verizon users: get ready for more dropped calls, thanks to iPhone.

K

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Verizon. Even when off work I'm on call. Phone is usually on vibe. The ONE place I have found that I did nto get any coverage at all was the St. Joe river valley in Idaho. Lost coverage leaving St. Regis MT and did not get it again until I rolled back into St. Regis for the return trip. I have a friend with AT&T who has to regularly use my phone to call if needed. Verizon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.