Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what Christmas Traditions you have in your family. A gift from my sister-in-law seems to have created a potential tradition that so far my 6 and 4 year old girls really like. I thought it was just more sneaking around in the middle of the night for me at first, but based on their reactions I'm warming to the whole idea. Having only been at home on the weekend days to observe the early morning search for the elf I've missed some of the fun I guess. The daily reports from the misses are entertaing. Check out her gift to us. What do you think of this? Is it a way to try to keep kids from being naughty or just another interesting idea? Google Elf on the Shelf.

You even get to name the guy, he comes with different skin, hair and eye colors but I think the elf outfit is pretty standard. My girls named him SMALL, fitting I guess.

What are your traditions and what has led them to how you observe them today? Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all who like this time of the year.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Just PRAYING for it to be over as quick and as painless as humanly possible.
I hate freeloadin' relatives!:beathead:

·
Hey you guys
664 Posts
I think I would like to start a new tradition of going to Bitterroot's house for xmas for some prime rib, then off to OMJ with his family members Jim Beam and Johnny Walker.

Our tradition was always me taking the boys to a movie on Chrstmas eve and then bringing home pizza and opening the presents. Now that the kids are grown and gone with their kids (well across town anyway) the wife and I just look at each other and fall asleep. Man is that depressing or what? I guess we need a new tradition just for the two of us.

I will consider any and all ideas thrown my way. Please help me.:confused:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We celebrate with my wifes side of the family the weekend before Christmas. We rent a big house that is a city park, it has two fire places and a tree already set up, usually have about 30-35 people. presents for the little ones and white elephant gifts for the adults. My nephew,( who is a member of this board who shall remain nameless), brought a penthouse forum as a white elephant gift. As luck would have it, his Grandmother got the gift! As she was leafing through the pages, a condom fell out,( unused thankfully). It's a great way to do it, split among the family it's inexpensive and no one has to bother with getting ready for a house full.

On Christmas eve, my wife, kids and I go out to the same chinese restaurant, like in A Christmas Story.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
My favorite was getting up early Christmas morning and going blackmouth fishing out of Des Moines. We would spend a couple of hours on the water, with a hot ruttered bum, or two, and, hopefully, put a couple of fish in the boat and then head back for presents and breakfast. Some of those December mornings were damn cold but we usually brought back some fish.

The current tradition is prime rib on Christmas Eve and ham on Christmas Day. Since we have the functions I can enjoy a dram or two.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

MB

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
To everything there is a season. My son has a decent full-time job now and Mrs Matey and I are nudging him out on his own so this is likely our last Christmas before we become empty nesters. For many years there has been an informal routine that I hesitate to call tradition.

Christmas Eve: take a walk with my son looking for the "Christmas Star" (Capella) and at the neighborhood lights, open 1 gift each, dinner, midnight candelight service, do the partial cookies and milk thing.

Christmas: Up early, start a fire, make a pot of tea, open gifts, breakfast, oogle over gifts, nap, phone calls to Mrs Matey's family in Arizona, Prime Rib for dinner, more recently go to my brother's extended family gathering (lots of booze, loud rude (grand)kids - he's my only direct family left and I made a promise to remain close), home to have a quiet nosh with Mrs Matey in front of the fire before bed.

Mrs Matey's nephew just moved to the area and will join us for Christmas this year. Maybe the beginning of a new "tradition".

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to all!

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Christmas tradition: Travel, usually someplace warm, with the kids while we still have them. Our planned trip to the Southern Caribbean for a cruise was aborted due to the East Coast storm. Enter plan B: Kauai, a few days at the Waimea Plantation Cottages, snorkeling early AM with the turtles at Poipu, afternoons at the pool. We've been here before and have this island wired. My happy place is right here.

Happy Holidays to all.

·
2,880 Posts
Christmas Eve varies. Christmas day starts w/ my kids opening stockings. Then we read the Christmas story according to St. Luke, followed by breakfast: homemade cinnamon rolls, fancy eggs scrambled, fruit, coffee, etc. After breakfast, we open gifts,..one at a time. Whoever opens a gift must then go grab a gift for someone else. This goes on until the presents are gone. Everyone gets to see what each person receives. Late morning or early afternoon, we go for a long walk. Late afternoon, we eat Christmas dinner, which is usually turkey or ham, plus some sort of taters, veggies, and pie to top it off...all washed down w/ some good wine. After Christmas dinner, I usually stretch out on the couch and take a nap. I love Christmas! Gifts are secondary; it's all the rest that makes it my favorite time of year. With both of my girls out of the house, it's particularly special to have the whole family together. Merry Christmas, Y'all.

·
Hey you guys
664 Posts
26 year old chocolate cherries is not a Christmas tradition it is a Christmas nightmare although the cherry juice/syrup should be pretty well fermented by now. Maybe you should send them to OMJ he might enjoy 200 proof cherries. :rofl:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
My wife, two daughters and spouses, two nephews, mom and dad, and a pot of shrimp and corn chowder. Ham on Christmas day and just being together as a family suits me just fine. Gifts are a bonus for me but I enjoy giving them. I'm in big trouble this year with spouse because I bought vidoe games for the boys. I think it's time we got into the 21st Century.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.