Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
I waded in the Yak with my iPhone in my pocket this spring and resurrected it. You might use Google to see if there are specific instructions for your device but here's what I did. First, don't turn it on. Shake out all the water, although some said to also blow it out with canned air and/or take it apart if you can to remove the battery and use canned air on the components. I didn't do this but still had good luck. Finally, stick it in a bag with a cup or two of rice or desiccant and leave it in there for a week. I used desiccant and when I took mine out, it was as good as new. Good Luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Freestone is on the money, but don't use regular rice. Use minute rice, it absorbs a while lot better. Open as mich area as you can to circulation (i.e. remove battery). Good luck, and that sucks. I have a GZ1 just because I know I usually end up getting wet.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I don't get it. Why does anyone take a piece of electronic equipment with them in the water, expecting an outcome where it wouldn't get soaked? If these things were plugged into 110 volt, you wouldn't take it in the swimming pool with you a second time.

Sg

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't get it. Why does anyone take a piece of electronic equipment with them in the water, expecting an outcome where it wouldn't get soaked? If these things were plugged into 110 volt, you wouldn't take it in the swimming pool with you a second time.

Sg
Unfortunately sometimes you simply have to bring an electronic leash with you. Othertimes it's kind of nice to have something to prove that you caught the fish of a lifetime without killing it. I just got a short video clip of some orca while fishing for silvers. Truth be told I would have gladly taken a 110 volt ride for that as well.

I try to select water resistant systems, but the alternative being an old camera box with a gunpowder flash tray is just too damn bulky to pack.

·
Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek
376 Posts
I put my Iphone in a dry (aka unlubricated) condom and tie it off with a knot. You can still operate the screen and even take or make a call. I get strange looks every once in awhile but my gear stays dry.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I put my Iphone in a dry (aka unlubricated) condom and tie it off with a knot. You can still operate the screen and even take or make a call. I get strange looks every once in awhile but my gear stays dry.
Lex, I gotta ask. Once you've put that phone into said protective device, do you place it to your face to make calls or listen to voice mails?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I have the unit in a bag of rice for at least 3 days to see if it absorbs the moisture, but I think its toast because I had splenda in the coffee which is just as worse as sugar. Really bummed, I use this more than my dumb cell.
I tried to open it to let more air in but I don't have the correct tool to open it. We'll see.

PS, forgot to mention it was dropped in my mug of coffee, unfortunately not while fishing.

·
1,411 Posts
Lex, I gotta ask. Once you've put that phone into said protective device, do you place it to your face to make calls or listen to voice mails?
Ed,
Haven't you heard that there are more kinds of bacteria on our cell phones than there is on toilets??
Lex is thinking safety here..

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Lex is a Jarhead. He thinks not about safety from his phone. He thinks about opportunity and has his rationale well planned out. It is a story everyone would believe.

·
1,411 Posts
I've actually heard of other uses like this too from other Jarheads, other than it's main purpose..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.