Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a nuisance bear regularly turning over our Waste Management garbage bin to go through the scraps of food. I'm guessing that it's a bear (rather than a racoon) as tonight it dragged the green bin about 15 feet and had cleverly figured a way to move aside the recycling and yard waste bins I put around it.

Any remedies on how best to deal with this? I'm thinking of using a bike cable to secure the bin but am open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
You need to store them in the garage or shed. Either that or get bear proof containers similar to what you see in many national parks/forests. My cans go out the morning the garbage get s picked up and that’s it. Locks will usually do nothing except slow down the inevitable.

Or you can take some of the more extreme measures proposed by other board members. I myself would not ever go to that route as I chose to live in bear country. Putting my cans in the garage is a small price to pay to be able to live where I live. I chose to buy my house because of the scenic beauty of the neighborhood and the wildlife in the area. (and the easy commutes to Denver for work and the S. Platte for fishing!). I have lived there just over a year and have had elk, bears, deer, foxes, coyotes and every other type of small animal you can think of in the yard. I have also come across lion tracks in the winter. Why would I move to an area and then kill what brought me here because they are eating my flowers, getting into my garbage, etc. Makes no sense to me, then again, maybe you did not make the choice to live where you live…..

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
We have had a bear in our neighborhood since early spring. He is in our yard almost every night pawing through the compost pile and checking the garbage cans. A few months ago we stopped putting anything other than leafy greens in the compost and stopped putting food wrappers and containers in the garbage and recycle bins.

Despite the fact that we removed all food and anything that smells like food he still stops by just to check, pawing through the compost and giving the bins a good sniff, sometimes knocking them over in the process but not pawing through them as they no longer smell attractive.

The solution is simple. Remove all food sources. You may also want to wash your bins inside and out to remove food smells. He/She may still come around to check but eventualy your home will move further down his/her priority list. You may have to come up with an alternative way to dispose of your food scraps and food containers.

We (the bear and I) have had a few close encounters that startled both of us. Fortunately we both retreated in opposite directions. We (myself, wife & daughter) have adopted a more cautious approach outside of our house especially at night. We are hoping the bear will go away this fall.

The small inconveniences are a small price to pay for the opporunitity to live amoung the original inhabitants of our neighborhood.

View attachment 34551 View attachment 34550

TC

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Compost all of your food scraps and electrify the composter fence to keep the critters out. A 4' X 4' X 8' composter will take care of a family of 6's food scraps and about an acre of yardwaste for 3 years if you get it established properly. Just enough to keep a 15' X 30' vegetable garden going, organically.

Also, don't forget to rinse out your recyclable stuff before you put it out. Critters love the 1/8'' of leftover beer from a recycle can. Especially racoons.

·
Gone Fishing
41 Posts
Aside from the obvious, call the authorities and let them deal with it, or "lead poisioning". I'd suggest you place a cinder block on top of your trash can. This will allow you to find out if it's not just a racoon. Either that or something that makes a helluv a racket when it's opened. Then you can know what you're dealing with and take the appropriate action as your particular moral compass dictates. For smaller nuicances (racoons, moles, etc...) I've found that recycling your late night beers by "leaving your mark" on their territory causes them to move on. Of course your neighbors may wonder why you're taking a leak on your trash can!

Good luck!

BD

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I once had the same problem, here's what worked for me, note my neighbors were not very close.
Take an old sock, tie it to your trash can. Put several drops of skunk spray on it, you can buy it at stores that sell varmint hunting supplies or on line. Refresh as neccessary. There's one thing that a bear won't fool with and thats' a skunk. The odor is strong enough to overcome any food odor inside your garbage can. Dealing with bears and garbage is not an easy issue and unless you take steps strong enough to persuade him to leave your address alone, he's going to win the battle.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Soak some hot chilies in water bring to boil and cool then spray the garbage can.
So you just want to spice up his food?

Way up in the backcountry of the Sierra Nevada's a long time ago we had a large camp complete with cook, etc. etc. Since we were going to be there for several months next to our toilet we had a slop pit. Nowadays people call it a composting pile.

Well anyway, the bear started visiting the slop pit so we went ahead and dumped LYE into the pit. And a lucky gentleman sitting on the toilet turned and saw the bear eating in the slop pit less than 10 feet away. He ate the entire contents of the slop pit and harsh chemicals did not stop him at all. He was back the next night.

Unfortunately, once a bear gets habituated to garbage the only solution is to fill your bear tag.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
First step is to call authorities. They are tasked with preventing interaction between humans and wildlife to prevent injuries to either species. I had the same problem once, but despite my pleas for help, the F&W never showed up to trap the pest. One morning I arose to find that the poor animal had tragically fallen off my garbage can and landed head first on a high velocity rifle round that I carelessly left lying next to the trash. I felt terrible, but what are you gonna do?

This happened long ago in another state to the immediate south, and if pressed for details, I will swear I made it up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.