Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Tug Is The Drug
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out birding to the LaConner flats with my wife today(a New YearsDay tradition) and pulled into Fir Island Game Preserve where there are always lots of snow geese, trumpeter swans, eagles etc. We get out of the car( mind you, walking past signs that say No Hunting, guns, dogs etc)and start to walk along the dike right next to the fence when all of a sudden I startled a guy lying beneath the crown of the dike with full camo on and a shotgun. I put my hand out to assure him it was ok and that we were no threat. I then turned around with my wife and walked to the car ( about 25 yds), took a picture of the license plate and called State Patrol. As luck would have it, as I was pulling out, a DFW truck goes past and soI chase him down, give him the info and tell him I feel like he is hunting on protected lands. First guy calls for back-up and we see through binocs them confronting the guy. As one of them pulls back out, he informs how stupid the guy was and was being given a ticket. Apparently the guy said he didn't know the area very well.( Ignorance is no excuse in my book).

To make a long story short, the timing was just right with not just one, but two WDFW agents just happening to be in the area when the incident taking place and issuing a citation. I mean, how often can you feel like the person you are reporting gets nailed??

These guys are spread very thin and need all of us whether it be hunting or fishing to protect our resources. My hats off to them for doing a very thankless job.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I know that in previous years there had to be at least one WDFW Officer on Fir Island everyday of the snow goose season. This was due to all of the problems that occured on the island. I know that this mandate/requirement for WDFW was in effect for the past 2-3 years but I am unaware if it is in effect this year, but it kind of sounds like it is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thankyou for reporting this violation.

Good birding regards,

:thumb:

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Faced with the same situation, I might have been inclined to ask the guy if he knew (or tell him) the area was not open for hunting -- hoping for a "aw crap, didn't know that" and he skidattle's (assuming daed birds aren't already beside him!). But then again, these days you never know who your dealing with and, as you mention, ignorance is no excuse. Score one for you and WDFW... good show!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
One of the benefits of living in Oregon is the OSP does the majority of 'game checking,' at least for fishing (can't speak to fowl/game). Hit 911 (there is a separate 800 number) and the 'Boy's in Blue' are on their way. Longest wait I've had (and I was waaay up on the Rogue River) was 15 minutes before the Patrol car pulled up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I didn't think WDFW folks had ticket books anymore. I thought enforcement was the responsibility of the State Patrol now????
NOPE! Our governor proposed moving WDFW Enforcement to State Patrol twice last year but that basically pissed off every county sheriff, hunter, fisher, and state representative in the state. That idea is dead. And hopefully it is dead for good!

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Page 17 of the regulations says to phone 877-933-9847 8-5 Monday through Friday. The rest of the time contact State Patrol at the numbers listed Under Emergency Incident Hotline,. Rather can confront the violator yourself, photograph their vehicle license or boat number, make notes of what you've seen, and turn that in to the authorities.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
On the weekends you call WSP. They handle it from there. Will say KUDOs for actually having it go through. You have no idea how many times I've called the WDFW and WSP hotlines over the years never to see an officer. BUT, the few times I've been pulled off fishing a bank in waters with heavy restrictions, I get fleeced by a Game Officer. Never been ticketed, well hard to ticket you if you keep everything legal. But I've even done the "Hmmmmm, isn't this area closed to fishing?" or the "I didn't think you could keep trout here?". Have had guys tell me to FO when I told them they were only allowed 6 trout total each (both had stringers of over 12 each and still fishing). Walked up to use my cell to call and guys sat and fished for a good 4 more hours raping out fish. This is when cells were big and no camera on them, and only had the 35mm. They would walk out into the woods and were gone. Sucked. Glad to hear a success story.

·
Sorry, I'm not set up for that.
102 Posts
Faced with the same situation, I might have been inclined to ask the guy if he knew (or tell him) the area was not open for hunting -- hoping for a "aw crap, didn't know that" and he skidattle's (assuming daed birds aren't already beside him!). But then again, these days you never know who your dealing with and, as you mention, ignorance is no excuse. Score one for you and WDFW... good show!
I agree with this totally, you just never know anymore......

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
you were fortunate to get someone to respond to your call. i have called in 3 seperate vilotation events and none of them was responded too. i'll keep making the phone calls but i never expect any response from either WDFW or the WSP.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was in the Allyn area last month fly fishing with a friend for SRC and we were approached by a WDFW officer who asked to see our licenses and to make sure we were using barbless hooks. He was a young guy and very polite.
He told us he was just at Minter Creek and ticketed two anglers (one who brought his young son) who had kept chum over the limit and who were snagging chum and were also keeping snagged fish. The fine was considerable considering the condition of chum by that time. I do not understand why anglers continue to snag salmon in creeks.
Glad to see enforcement around. I guess they spend their time where there are known problems. Since we had licenses, barbless hooks and were practicing catch and release, he enjoyed talking to us for a few minutes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i'll keep making the phone calls but i never expect any response from either WDFW or the WSP.
The reason why they have you call WSP during non-business hours is because WSP dispatches WDFW Officers. Very very very rarely will you ever see a WSP trooper respond to a fish & wildlife violation. If there are currently no WDFW officers working in the area then they (WSP dispatch) will call them at home and call them out, they will not have a WSP trooper handle it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good to hear those governor proposals didn't come to be. At the time I wrote several letters opposing this proposal. I figured the governor would do what she wanted regardless of public and agency inputs and opinions.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
well bigman, the last violation i called in on a sunday to the WSP non emergency line, try and find that in your regs pamphlet, had a WSP patrol officer call me back. he could not get to my location before dark so he didn't even attempt to make the run. WSP does respond to these calls.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good to hear those governor proposals didn't come to be. At the time I wrote several letters opposing this proposal. I figured the governor would do what she wanted regardless of public and agency inputs and opinions.
Why do you oppose using WSP for wildlife enforcement? Seems like a good idea to me and I have the impression it has worked well in Oregon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why do you oppose using WSP for wildlife enforcement? Seems like a good idea to me and I have the impression it has worked well in Oregon.
Not only does that poster oppose using WSP but so does every hunting/fishing organization/group and every county sheriff in the state. There are only two states (Oregon and Alaska) that have wildlife enforcement as part of the state patrol/police, and Alaska is slowly shifting their enforcement over to Alaska Fish and Game. Officers from those two agencies have always said that they could do their job better if they were part of the fish/wildlife agency. The state patrol/police is mainly a traffic agency, not a wildlife enforcement agency. It is well known in Oregon that when OSP (Oregon State Police) has their budget cut the divison that takes the biggest cut is the Fish & Wildlife Enforcement division..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.