Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ocean weather machine has kicked in. Right now we've got patchy fog, overcast, and we're really cool!:cool:
My kind of weather!
It was 91 and still climbing here yesterday when I headed over to my friend's place on the beach, at 2:30pm with my surfing gear. Too hot and sunny for any cutthroat fishing. Good time to hit the waves, with the offshore winds grooming the small swell.

Even with a 4mm wetsuit on, the water felt really nice in the heat. We just surfed a small peak here in Grayland, out in front of my surf buddy's house that he's building. Not only were we away from the crowd, but my buddy was really stoked that he was able to line up for the waves by looking shoreward, using the roof of his house as a marker.
I actually got a couple of nice rides in before I got a charlie horse in my calf, which sent me to the beach.
Dang! Fell off the Surfers' Anonymous wagon. Back in the saddle again! I thought I had it licked, but :beathead:

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
Sounds awesome Jim! What a great way to cool off. Now you just need to add a fun little surf boat to your kayak collection!

I stepped off the plane in Charlotte, NC at 6am this morning to a wall of heat and humidity so thick I felt I couldn't breathe. It's gonna be a long week...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hah - we were in westport yesterday and I've never seen the beach so packed with people! It was great time regardless of the crowds. Everyone was having a blast and I managed to catch a couple newbie waves myself. Too bad Westport isn't like that more than a couple days a year!

-J

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hang in there, Freestone! It will feel great to be back. I went to Florida once, in early Sept. What a mistake! I've been eyeing those Cobra Strike surf yaks. Its one of the better looking poly surfing design I've seen, maybe the best.
Preston, I am cutthroat fishing for sure here this W, and maybe on T. Tidewater bluebacks! Early morning high tides. Might go try to find some Kings on Th or F.
Boot, I surf because it pisses off my family members who think I am too old for participating in risky recreational endeavors. Howz that for a bad-wiring (ha ha, I meant bad writing, but thats a good freudian slip!) contest entry? I could add a few words if necessary.
I doubt I'll ever get into SUPs. I can paddle my Ultimate 12 just fine standing up. Not in the surf,though. SUP seems kind of trendy to me. I did like the U-tube vids I've seen of guys riding the Wedge and photos of guys like Laird Hamilton riding big waves on 'em. Other than one really good local longboarder I know that has gotten into 'em, I haven't been impressed watching the newbies try to surf on 'em. Unless they find their own peak down the beach, they just seem to screw up the lineup.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Jesse, That's the 2nd 90 degree+ day with offshores that we've had here this summer. I surfed then also. Hoping for another one! I might have to go paddle out later this afternoon if it is halfway decent. That way I can put off digging up my old waterline to my garage and replacing it! Fun trumps work on any Sunday! Waves looked junk this morning.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, Boot. thanks for the tips. Although I have tremendous respect for Occy and the fact that he made a great comeback into the surfing world, I don't think I ever want to do that much air travel ever again, if any. I understand you have some history Down Under, and probably would jump at the chance to visit, so I won't try to out do ya!

Anyway, that poser Spicoli really understated the lifestyle, from my experience. Of course, he was only in S CA, and me and my bros were in the Islands back then.:rofl:

Actually, I surf because I still can.:thumb:

I checked the surf at Westhaven near high tide yesterday, and it was small (1 - 2') crubling, but still rideable. The fog was back, but you could still see the lineup, less than 150 feet from the water's edge. Some longboarders were plying the gentle little waves, and a kid walked by me with this huge, thick, wide "fish" style twin-fin that looked like it fell out of some time capsule.

I spotted two SUPers out paddling and trying to catch some waves. They were over in another peak than the surfers were riding, and thus not getting in the way and causing any interference. They could paddle OK, but I didn't see them catch any waves. One finally just paddled in, and had much difficulty carrying the huge and heavy board, along with the paddle, back across the beach and up the berm. I have less difficulty packing my Ultimate 12 on my shoulder down a lumpy, rutty little trail thru the marsh grass.

I used to sometimes take a custom glass ocean windsurfing board that was 9' 8" long, about 4" thick, and nearly 24" wide out and ride it like a big longboard (without the sail). That hulk was too heavy to use a surf leash without endangering the knee of the leg to which it was attached, so I tied my leash to a deck grommet on the nose of the board, and just hung onto it. I could use this line to help turn the beast, by pulling on the line as I stomped my rear foot on the tail to turn it. That experience taught me that the smallest stick that is appropriate for the waves and that you can still catch and ride 'em with... that stick is the always the better stick to use. The less volume of foam, the better.

That said, my new "old man's" stick is a monster: 8' long, 22" wide, and 3" thick in the middle at the stringer. I can hardly wait to ride it in some clean small waves!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Right on Jim! We just rented some boards at the "surf shop" in westport. Those guys are some cool laid back dudes. My wife and I are completely hooked. This is about the 5th time we've been out. She's already turning pro. Unfortunately for me, I'm still sucking seawater. I was riding an 8'4 yesterday and it still seemed unstable. I think it's all about the longboard for me!

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
I stepped off the plane in Charlotte, NC at 6am this morning to a wall of heat and humidity so thick I felt I couldn't breathe. It's gonna be a long week...
Sorry for the hard weather in NC, Freestone. There's something to be said about high heat and thunderstorms! Are you planning on being in the weather or indoors?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.