Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RiverFishing

(NFR)

Well, here's a thought that's probably totally unrealistic and would be a pain-in-the-fanny to manage even if it did make sense, but what the heck...
If this is a community of relatively responsible and honorable people, wouldn't it be neat to establish a library of flyfishing-related books and other media that could be lent out for a fixed period of time from one member to another?

Like any other library, it would offer users an avenue for recreational reading, information, and/or the chance to "test-drive" a book or video before buying for their personal library. It might even offer the lender the satisfaction of sharing something with fellow members that was personally helpful or just a good read.

Myself, I've got a fair amount of books, some purchased, some gifts, related to my fairly recent entry into flyfishing. Some I'd never part with, some I'd lend, some I'd even be willing to swap for something else. I'm guessing that most of the regulars here have lots more than I do.

My local flycasters' club has established a relationship with the Mid-Columbia Library system that established a Flyfishing section "sponsored" by the club. The catch is, we have to DONATE the book or video. We can't get it back once the library gets it.

If any of you have a response, please put it out there. Save me the lectures about "you don't really know who's there, there'd be no safeguards, there'd be too many hassles, we'd get ripped off, etc." I can recognize the risks as well as the pure headaches, and I'm not volunteering to run it. But if there was sincere interest, especially from the founders, or those more creative with solutions or safeguards, I'd be willing to be part of the development, oversight, whatever.

So there it is...

Mike:dunno

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Lending Library Idea

Sounds like an interesting idea. How could you "advertise" your inventory for lending? I'd personally like to preview some videos before buying them for my own library.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Lending Library Idea

Sounds like it could be a good idea, if someone would take ownership of it. As far as advertising the inventory there could be a forum section called 'Library' and maybe broken into categories like the 'Gallery'. Books, Videos / DVD's maybe with some subcategories for each area. It would have to be on the honor system for getting thing to people and having them get them back to the original person or send them along to the next person.

Of course this would all depend on Chris, since I don't know if this would cost much to develop and maintain.

Bill

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Lending Library Idea

Historically I've been terrible at getting packages mailed if I had to get to the post office which is out of the way for me. If it were agreed on to use UPS or FedEX both ways I would consider it. The shipping cost / request could be handled using PayPal to include return postings back to my address or whoever is running it. The use of the library should be limited to those with verified contact information.

If this idea continues getting support, I'll use my 'once every six months' option to email the entire member base for donations.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lending Library Idea

RiverFishing

So far, so good. I haven't been voted off the island or accused of being naive, a total idiot, anything.

As far as this post is concerned:

"Responsible and honorable"????? You mean this forum???
Just checking

Read back and you'll see I wrote, "If this is a community of...etc., etc,.." The operative there is IF.

I'm guessing you're joking, and even if you're not I can't argue assumptions. Myself, I'm pretty much willing to make the assumption that in fact most if not all of the regulars ARE an honorable lot, and if downstream I were to lend and lose something, I'm not likely to then ASSUME the whole lot are bad apples. But that's just me personally.

Anyway, thanks to the posts that seem to suggest this might be a possibility. Until I read Chris' post, I hadn't visualized a central location for media so much as an virtual exchange library where some subset of the Forum (such as the Classifieds) would serve to facilitate transactions between willing members based on some agreed-upon protocols. However, the whole idea in my own head is only a few hours old and really came out of a post yesterday where I offered up for loan to anyone a book I had recently read and enjoyed. In this case, I've read the book, enjoyed it, would share it willingly, and wouldn't shoot myself if I didn't get it back since it's in less that perfect condition and is hardly a family heirloom. Anyway, that's what got me to thinking a bit more and then putting this thing out there.

Chris' idea (as I understand it) does make some sense. It would eliminate one issue I'd already thought of - some of us (the women especially) might not care to disclose our addresses to other members in order to receive a book or video. By creating a secure database of the willing, that problem I think would be overcome. It also might be a way of getting around the postage/shipping issue, since Chris would cover all of that. Just kidding, Chris!

You know, this might just work...

Mike

:thumb

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lending Library Idea

RiverFishing

Thanks for the positive input.:D

This is still very much a new idea, but I'm guessing that some offshoot of the forum would be accessed by willing exchangers and might include categories such as:

1. Available for short-term lending.

2. Available for as long as you need it (up to a limit).

3. Willing to exchange for something else.

4. Would let you have it for the cost of postage.

5. Books/Videos I'd like to have.

6. Books/Videos I'd like to borrow.

Or something like that. Still , these are just ideas and there's lots of others out there, I'm sure.

Thanks again.

Mike :thumb

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Lending Library Idea

I believe it would be easier if items were 'given' for use and stored / shipped from a central location. Items would be returned to the original owner at their request.

Items for trade I think should be handled in the classifieds.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Lending Library Idea

Just to get the ball rolling, with the exception of my collector's books (ie, forgotton flies, book of trout flies 1st edition, mary orvis marbury book with water colors, kelson's original edition, etc) many of the other copies I have I would be happy if other people wanted to borrow them. I have a complete library that would make any fisherman jealous and am willing to share the wealth. I also have duplicates of at least a dozen books. I was thinking of selling them but maybe I could hold off for you guys.

Here are axamples of what can be available to you:

All John Gierach Books
All AK Best Books
All John Shewey books
All Trey Combs Books
All Kauffman Books
All Wulff books
All Ray Bergman books
All Joe Brooks books
Almost All Haig-Brown Books
A few books from Schmookler
A few from Gary Lafontaine
A few from Russell Chatham
A few from Skip Morris
A ton From Nick Lyons

okay that is a start

Let me know how I can contribute.

TM101

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Lending Library Idea

The idea is that shipping costs need to be covered and a streamlined process would make it easy for members to use the library and to get the items back. If it were left to the group I would imagine the process of shipping and retrieving items would get old or personal quick, especially if someone barrowing the item got lazy.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Lending Library Idea

I think this is a hell of good idea and the bugs can be worked if all are willing.
The library could run at a small profit: say you need some extra income; say the cost of shipping is $2 but the fee for borrowing the book is $4. But maybe you only go to the post office once a week and it takes less than an hour. You have 10 books to ship. 10X2=$20. Not bad for less than an hour- a no brainer and not much labor. Three months of this and your looking for a new spey rod.
Dream on boys and girls, dream on. The line for the interviews begins at the left.
Bob:9

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
Lending Library Idea

I like the idea, but given the books would be donated by members for the use by other members, I would charge only the cost of shipping. I guess the perk would be having a few books / video's I haven't gone through on premise. Fair enough.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RiverFishing

I've been out of town on a graduation attendance ceromony mission all weekend and so hadn't had time to review more recent postings.
Thanks to those you supported this as a possibility, thanks all who raised questions or concerns, and thanks to Chris for willingness to take on the real work.
I'll be looking forward to this and putting up some of my meager collection for loan!:thumb

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.