Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smell: Burnt, saltwater...maybe dead-ish?

Feel: Smooth, ridges, hard crusty between smooth ridges. Heavy...maybe 10lbs? Rock solid.

Look: Shiny, black with white quarts like deposits between ridges. 10" long.

thanks for your inputs!

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
NFR:pleaes identify. found on Neah Bay beach.

That seems like a fossil mastadon tooth to me. Those tube-like things are the roots that bring blood into/out of the tooth. The surface to the right would be the chewing surface.

Steve

·
Be Like Mike!
296 Posts

Without closer examination, that clearly looks like the rib cage of the extremely rare Puget Sound "Stoned Fish". These "Stoned Fish" are know for their advanced camouflaging. In the water their camouflage makes them look like a 10-12" Resident Coho. Out of the water, their body shape is similar to a Jurassic Permit. Their extremely sharp teeth result in a 99.9% break-off and the loss of most of your flies. :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

funny the owner did say a mastadon tooth but wasn't shure if she was kidding or not. I'm thinking a burnt and charred rib cage of a small animal due to it being only 10" long and described as having a burnt smell? Sorry this is the only pic taken..

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts

Try sending the picture to the Burke Museum, or take it to the museum. They are having a fossil thing there now.

I would lean towards the mastadon tooth.

MB

·
Trouthunter
497 Posts
Sweet find! Looks just like the wooly mammoth teeth in the link provied, probably worth a good ammount if its as big as you specified.

·
Jasper hickman
325 Posts
Honestly I dont see and mastadon tooth there, and Ive seen jurassic park at least ten times! It looks like a ribe cage of a seal, dog or deer. But If you do find out what it is post an update. I know they found some mastadon remains in the sandstone cliffs at Squim a few years back, not that far from Neah bay

·
1,411 Posts

Try sending the picture to the Burck Museum, or take it to the museum.
MB
If you do this they'll just tell you that it's an Atlantic Salmon.

Honestly though, you said it had a burnt smell to it. Grayone might be right.
Does it float?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.