Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been sold on the New Balance 993 for quite a while now but I am in need of a waterproof runing shoe and New Balance does not seem to be able to answer the call.

Recommendations please.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
A friend of mine wears New Balance trail running shoes when running in the rain. He said the wet surface reduces wear on the treads. There are a lot of companies that make a gor-tex trail running shoe. Don't know about regular running shoes.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Never had the need for them, even as a trail runner, but I know some of the off-road shoes come in goretex. Guessing they're good either for ultra distance trail or non-running use. Sorry I'm no use in terms of experience with them, but if I were in the market I'd start with Merrell and some of the others known for trail running (check out the Merrell CTR Cruise GTX...not a road shoe like the 993 but it is rated for stability). That said, if you're using them to run and staying on pavement I'd avoid a waterproof shoe even with lots of rain around. Hope that's a start anyway...good luck!

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Your choice will depend on what feels good on your feet. I recommend going to REI (or your Canadian/Vancouver equivalent) to try some on.

·
Your Preferred WFF Poster
2,313 Posts
i wouldn't recommend rei... go to a proper running store. i'm sure there's a couple in the portland area. a decent one will be able to answer your questions and do a proper gait analysis.

a good fitting running shoe is gold. maybe think about buying a second pair of what you like for when the other pair is drying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wouldn't recommend rei... go to a proper running store. i'm sure there's a couple in the portland area. a decent one will be able to answer your questions and do a proper gait analysis.

a good fitting running shoe is gold. maybe think about buying a second pair of what you like for when the other pair is drying.
After years of trial and error I finally got set with the NB 993 however when they get wet they smell like amonia and New Balance can't tell me why. I have even talked to them at the corporate level to no avail. I may end up with a Trail shoe but I was hoping for a true runner.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Never made any sense to me. I run in shorts down to about 45 degrees and 3/4 length tights after that. Water accumulates on my legs, runs down into my shoes and with waterproof shoes I am running in two puddles of water all of the time. Also as soon as you have to run through a mud hole your shoes just hold the mud / water - no drainage.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have ran in several pairs of the andrenaline trail edition, they are Awesome, RECOMMEND. Not only are they very waterproof, the adrenalines are just a great running shoe.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
I agree with Martyg. Waterproof running shoes make no sense because none can keep the water from running in through the tops that you stick your feet in. Then you have a shoe with water squishing around your feet that cannot drain out. I think you're better off to have a second pair of runners that you alternate wearing and drying.

Sg

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I agree with Martyg. Waterproof running shoes make no sense because none can keep the water from running in through the tops that you stick your feet in. Then you have a shoe with water squishing around your feet that cannot drain out. I think you're better off to have a second pair of runners that you alternate wearing and drying.

Sg
I bought one of those boot driers at Whistle Workwear. I trail run in the AM, get wet, shoes go on the drier, and they are dry & toasty warm in if I want an evening run as well.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
without a doubt - the best waterproof trail running shoes are Solomon. Dont be freaked out by the lacing system - it just works.
iagree

Not so much on the running part [you'd understand if we met], but solomon are fantastic trail shoes. On my secong pair of the XA PRO 3D Ultras. Love them.

Ammonia in your sneakers is usually your sweat. For some people [and it is common] when the sweat from their feet mixes with nitrogen it smells like cat piss. Making sure your shoes are totally dry will help. Toss them on a boot drier, like Marty said. Once dty the smell will be mild if anything. It will actually help out the life of the shoes too.

http://www.peetshoedryer.com/

I have seen people also use cat litter in a synthetic [polyester/nylon] pouch to keep in the shoes after drying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.