Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent half of Saturday with a good friend fishing the Skykomish. There were lots of other folks out, but nobody seemed to be hooking up. I heard one report of a gear fisherman losing a fish at the Lewis Street Bridge, but that was about it. The most exciting moments for us were seeing a fish roll and I managed to catch a single whitefish, although I hooked it in the side. Both of us are still fairly new to swinging for steel, but were feeling like our presentation was right on and we were thoroughly fishing the runs. It was a great morning to be out, but we parted ways just about 1pm in Monroe.

Being that I didn't have much going on for the day, I opted to hit the Snoqualmie on my way back to Seattle. Knowing that everything is shutting down early, I figured it would most likely be my last day out. I hit the the hole at the Raging River. It was running pretty high and dirty, so I headed for the David Powell road. I was relieved to see that there was only one other car on the whole stretch and they were higher up than I intended to fish. With the rain coming on stronger and the wind picking up, I strung my rod and waded into the river. Again, I was really feeling like my fly was fishing properly. Within my first dozen casts and about mid way through the swing my loop was ripped from my grasp and I had a fish on. It made 1 good run and a jump, but overall came quickly to my hand. Since I never catch anything I was unprepared and had no camera to document the feat. Thankfully a fellow fisherman stopped alongside the road just as I tailed the fish. He stepped out to congratulate me and I asked him if he had a camera. Thankfully he did and managed to capture my first spey caught steelhead. Thanks Matt!

I'm really curious about one thing. The fish fought, but not tremendously, and it was very colored up. It was a native fish, but I just wonder how it came to be so dark. Would this have been a summer run fish? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
695 Posts
More than likely it was a summer-run fish, although being that it was wild I'm a little surprised it was in the main river and not up in a trib. I'm not familiar with the summer runs in that river, but I know in other places around PS they shoot up to their spawning tribs in as soon as high water comes in the fall. Usually they hang out in the upper reaches over winter and spawn in the spring. Over on the Snake R. tribs however the summer/fall run fish hang out in the main river over winter before spawning in the spring.

Steelhead are very diverse, so really you are bound to find them anywhere at any time.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good job!

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
I was up on the Raging River this morning for one more stab this winter. The water just below Preston was real nice but farther down river it was still pretty silty. There's a small trib a mile or so below Preston that dumps all that silt to make the lower river cloudy after a big rain. I hit several decent holes but found no action. But it was a pretty morning to be out nonetheless. If I would have read your e-mail before I left, I probably would have gone down to David Powell Rd too. Good job. Attached are a couple pics from my wonderings on Raging this AM...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Dave,

Just goes to show ya....you can still have a great day and beautiful scenery even when ya don't catch any fish!!

Jc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.