Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hi, my names Justin and i am a fly fishing addict
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Nisqually yesterday with my Dad who came in from Georgia. Caught lots of fish and had a blast. I have been trying to research about the trout in this river and keep coming up with very little. I know there are Rainbow and Cut in there, didn't see any Cut yesterday though. Advice and Tips would be great

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
I guess they quit put-n-take stocking of hatchery rainbows in the early/mid nineties, but there's a small naturally reproducing population of holdovers. Of course, the young of the year are mixed in with the few steelhead smolts left plus smolts of the various salmon species. There's a wild cutthroat population; the river used to produce the occasional 5+lb cutty but I haven't seen or heard of one in many years.
Nisqually, in the early 70's, was the 15th highest steelhead producing river in WA. Now...there's a lot of empty gravel, I'll put it that way. It's a relatively intact watershed, and the dam is located at the naturally occurring migration barrier that prevented fish passage anyway, but nets and thriving wild salmonid populations don't really coexist.

please, please play and handle these little fish as little as possible. I don't ever keep anything with an adipose from that river, they are precious gems.

·
Hi, my names Justin and i am a fly fishing addict
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i appreciate the response, we caught so many of the smaller bows it was ridiculous. all of our fish were released, i have fished the lower for salmon over the past few years. new to fly fishing so just trying to get a feel for what this river has to offer trout wise. thanks much for all the historical data as well very informative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.