Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Primarily been a fly fisherman for 55 years but do have spin casting tackle used occasionally.

Had not used bait casting tackle in 22 years when I musky fished. Also did saltwater bait casting in the Atlantic Ocean surf when younger.

Bought a bass bait casting reel for last months Kentucky bass fishing to my friends lake front log home. Had to figure out how to set it up and cast it.

So off to You Tube and after a few how to videos I was off and running. One video was a southern 17 year old kid and was very helpful.

Amazing how much knowledge is accessible on the net. Much better than reading books and magazines when I started a long time ago.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Make sure you have the reel set properly. Today's bait casters have adjustable braking systems to help prevent overrun. I learned on an old ambassador which had none of these new anti overrun brakes. It was all done with thumb pressure.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I had to figure out the adjustable brake system on it. The 17 year old expert bass fisherman on you tube set me straight.

Love the Texas rig for dragging the plastics through the junk. Works great. Wish there was an application for swinging steelhead flys.

Yes I had a few bird nests before I figured out the brake settings and the casting. None were any though that I had to cut line. It is fun to cast. May try it on river smallie a next week along with the fly rod.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Make sure you have the reel set properly. Today's bait casters have adjustable braking systems to help prevent overrun. I learned on an old ambassador which had none of these new anti overrun brakes. It was all done with thumb pressure.
Hear ya there. My first bait caster was also an Ambassador - first trip out with this reel, headed out to a Snohomish area river, fresh snow on the ground, cold. First cast. Backlash. Took a good half hour to get it straightened out. What happened on my second cast? Knife out of pocket, back to the truck, may have used a bad word. After I retired, bought a new bait caster for pitching plugs for walleye. Technology is pretty amazing. It works well and so far, no knife out of pocket.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Personally, I appreciated the old knuckle-buster Ambassador (the pre-star drag and pre-anti-backlash model), you had to learn how to use your thumb. It's commonly known as skill.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
I learned on a Abu 5500D and a Penn 109......got my knuckles busted a few times.

I agree on YouTube being a great resource for learning things. Fixed my lawnmower after watching a video on there recently.
SF

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
As much as I dislike lots about the internet and social media gone bezerkoid, I must say that YouTube DIY videos have saved me tons of time and $$. For instance, I would have broken my Dodge door panel trying to remove it to get to the screws while replacing the side view mirror. It requires a slight uplift to release the hidden tangs, easy sailing with that tiny bit of info. Also been real handy for fly tying. It use to be a picture was worth a 1000 words... a good video clip is worth a whole bunch more.

Reactions: shotgunner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.