Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm gonna be on/around the Snake river this coming year, and am looking into getting a spey rod for it. Specifically, I'm looking to try to pick up some Spring Chinook. I'd like to get a rod heavy enough for chinook, but not totally overpowered if I take it steelhead fishing (like on the Ronde).
So I'd like to pick up a spey, not high end, just durable and functional.

At the local shop the owner isn't especially into spey, but does carry some. He suggested an 8wt 12' 6" cortland endurance, w/ large arbor reel, and skagit line.

Anyway, I don't have much to go with, I'll certainly be doing a bit of research and maybe checking other shops before picking anything up, but I wanted to check with the guys on this board and see what they thought of Cortland, and the Endurance rod, what weight rod they would suggest, and if anyone has another brand/model they'd prefer for affordable rod/reel.

As someone with no experience with spey, I appreciate any opinions
-Eric

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome to the journey.

Make time in May to head to the Sandy River Spey Clave. Learn to cast. Visit Poppy at the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, ID for all of your spey needs.

Speypages is a great resource.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
Shoot Poppy an email or give him a call over at www.redshedflyshop.com/
He'll answer any question you have.

Likewise, I'm not familiar with the Cortland Endurance but there are alottttttt of budget priced spey rods that are absolutely great. Some to note are the TFO Deer Creek spey rod, Echo Tim Rajeff spey, Echo Dec Hogan, Beulah Classic, I'm sure others can add on.
Also, i'm sure most of these rods are capable of powering in chinooks with an 8wt but you might want to take a look at 9wt's for that added power.

Others can give you a better break down of different line's you can use.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
A rod for chinook on the snake and a rod for steel head on the ronde are two different beast's I believe...

Call the Redshed and talk to Poppy , best service around, he will get you in the right direction ...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leroy, you're probably right, in which case I might just have to lean towards the heaviest reasonable steelhead rod. I am serious about targeting Chinook, but that will only be a few months in the spring, and would hate to have a totally new rod and setup that I can't use outside of that one time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
An 8wt two handed rod is about the same as a 10wt single handed rod. If you are fishing the Kenai may be a bit light, for the Columbia/Snake system I see no problem. It is a bit of overkill for 5 pound steelhead on the GR but there are a lot of people using 7 and 8wt two handed rods there.

Craig

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would also recommend an 8 weight spey. I've got a 13'6" 8 weight that worked great in Alaska for kings and it is my go to steelhead rod as well. Possibly a bit much for the Ronde but would still do the trick. I don't know anything about Cortland spey rods but like NomDeTrout stated, TFO Deer Creeks and Echo's are great rods and their prices are right on. With either the TFO or Echo, I think that you would be very happy for several years but with the Cortland, you may be wanting to upgrade in a year or two.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
for real eric. 13' TFO deer Creek 7/8. compact skagit 580-600 grains. teton tioga 12. done (stay away from lamson too light to balance the rod). i set mine up for cheap and it drops bombs. all my fancy buddies dig it. watch the classifieds like a hawk. a lot of guys are willing to part with there "cheap" gear after a season and "upgade" to Sage/Meiser/CND/shitidontevenknowabout etc etc. but the DC puts in work on the river. i love mine. as another great option i recommend the Echo TR, also killer. just as yourself, i was new to spey casting and trying to stay on the cheap side and i'm extremely stoked on my setup. perfectly balanced and fishes really well. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the rod advice, and especially for directing me to the red shed, they were good help.

Looks like I'll be getting a Dec Hogan Echo with TFO prism reel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.