Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I found a nice rental in maple falls and thinking of moving there but someone give me an honest answer besides some real estate lady telling me it's only 20 min. from bham.

Mapquest says 40 min. 28 miles. that's a long drive to work especially if your not making good money. how long does it take going 60 mph? and what is the clarity of the Nooksack over in Maple falls or Glacier? is it a good place to live if one wants to fish that river?

im more interested in fishing bc than the nooksack. I kind of want to live in bham, but hate apt living. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, 40-50 minutes is about right. My experience on the Nooksack is all above the falls for trout. Yesterday I actually did real well but the fishing is hit and miss and it's usually too high until this time of August or later. Not real big trout either, but fun to catch all the same.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Maple falls is a great area, but I'd rather drive 40 min. to fish than drive that far every day for work, and back. I'd look for something closer to town. Your going to have to drive what ever you do so why not be more centrally located?

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok done deal : ) can't wait to bet to bham. if anyone can turn me on to a good real estate person who knows nice rentals, i'll check them out. I've been looking around but to find a NICE place not a dive; that will take a dog can be a challenge. thanks. can't wait to get to bham or anywhere around there.

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
The nooksack pretty much belongs to the tribes and is not a destination fishery whatsoever. I would recommend living in town and solely fishing BC rivers for the real deal, as well as nearby lakes for weirdos.

·
Switch Rod Samurai
2,956 Posts
agreed. and the fishing in the nookie is unreliable at best
the tribes really bend her over.... no lube. that isnt to say there arent monster steelhead in there, there are just not many. The chum run has been pretty consistet too.
the coho run on the south fork is good for a few weeks. big fish that hit flies well. And if they aent liking your fly, put a little dick nite on a sink tip and swing it

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
agreed. and the fishing in the nookie is unreliable at best
the tribes really bend her over.... no lube. that isnt to say there arent monster steelhead in there, there are just not many. The chum run has been pretty consistet too.
the coho run on the south fork is good for a few weeks. big fish that hit flies well. And if they aent liking your fly, put a little dick nite on a sink tip and swing it
+1 except for the dick nite part (only cuz I don't know no better)

Also, good whitewater in the Canyon when it's too off color for fishing

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dick nite...u mean scent? never heard of that term. i'm seeing a lot of nice places to rent. a killer beach front cottage and cabins but no dogs. What a pisser. Can't stress about it all will work out in time.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
dick nite...u mean scent? never heard of that term. i'm seeing a lot of nice places to rent. a killer beach front cottage and cabins but no dogs. What a pisser. Can't stress about it all will work out in time.
If you use smelly jelly on your fly, is it still fly fishing?

Yeah, we have three Akitas. Sometimes finding a place to rent was really tough and usually resulted in having to put up monstrous deposit. I think our last deposit was 1st, last plus $1900.

Now we'll just be throwing money at the bank for the next 29 years but at least nobody can tell me that I need to get the fridge and sofa off my front porch.

Ed

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well at 53, i should be owning my own home. Looks like i'm not as successful as most my age. Maybe after my refinery job ends here in Tacoma, I can find myself with more work up there when i get to bham in October. I found a place that will rent to me and it's real secluded and gated 4 miles from bham. It seems real nice and i plan to drive up sept 3rd or 4th , ) yeah Ed, you have a good job.., ) if you can afford to feed 3 Akita's ur doin ok :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.