Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Nor-Vise at the Fly tying show in Albany couple of months ago, after seeing just how many of the really accomplished demo tiers there were using one, how much easier and faster they seemed to be able to tie, and their general enthusiasm for the vise.

I am now a huge fan of this vise. as it simply makes tying more of a pleasure with all that it can do, including spin dubbin onto the thread in literally just a couple of seconds, fully and perfectly wrap a thread base in seconds as well.

And the automatic bobbins for use with the Nor-Vise are just as trick - once you get the hang of them, they make tying with the old fashioned bobbins seem ponderous and slow.

I was pretty hesitant to fork over $300 for this vice, now consider it the best investment I have made to date in all the fly tying tools and supplies I have purchased over the years.

So props for a truly fine piece of equipment..:thumb:

·
Registered
298 Posts
It took me a little time to get use to it, but I agree, a great tool for tying flies.

Dr Bob

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the vise and like it. Regal too (have them both).
The bobbins are a waste for me.

I have a hundred or more spools of thread....colors, thicknesses, types.
I rely on varying thread colors too much, to give up on my rich spool collection.
And I don't have the time or the inclination to re-spool that much stuff.

I mention it only because I can't see any reason....from an engineering
point of view, why the same mechanism couldn't be adapted to
work with standard size plastic spools. Might need a heavier spring.
Overall mechanism might be a bit more complex and expensive.

But that would be something I'd want.

·
Confrimed Reprobate
275 Posts
I tie with the Nor-Vise, the Barracuda, and the Regal. I like them all. For the majority of my tying I use both the Barracuda and the Nor-Vise. I started tying around the early 50's...most of you have NO inkling how good it is now. Progress is a good thing. By the way, I was tying at the Albany show...that is one great gathering of some pretty fantastic folks and I tip my hat to those who got it together. They have done it right!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.