Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i took a co-worker who just got into fly fishing up to three lakes on hwy 20, diablo thunder and gorge lake. the only lakes he has fished to this point is padden ,toad and silver lake in whatcom county. having fished all of these lakes there is a big difference in the strength and the fight of the fish in these lakes. I have fished padden and toad for the first time this year and am dissappointed in how little these fish fight as soon as you hook them they fight for about 3 seconds and then there like reeling in a boot. so i was excited to take him to these high lakes. we got to diablo at about 6:30 and the fishing was good between the two of us we probably caught about 30 fish the biggest was a 17" bull trout. we mainly caught rainbows and a couple of nice cuts as well. my day took a slight turn for the worse when i unhooked a fish and showed my buddy when i released the fish and went to grab my fly rod it was gone. it had fallen of my float tube without making a splash. if it had been any other lake i would have dove in and tried to find it ,but the water in that lake is far to cold to swim in. luckily for me i brought a backup pole. most of the fish we caught were on a olive woollybugger with a white tail. i also caught a couple on a bloodworm trailer. we then went to thunder lake which has cutthroats. although i have never fly fished this lake i have spent alot of time bait fishing this lake in the past and remembered there being massive amounts of damsel flies so i tied on a carrie special and started casting over sunken logs and catching fish we fished the lake for 4 hrs i caught well over twenty fish my friend caught 4 my biggest was 16" but all these fish were extremely strong and fought like much bigger fish. we finished the day fishing gorge for and hour and i caught 4 and my friend caught 3 the biggest being 12". it was the best day of fly fishing that either of have ever had. it was beautiful weather and scenery and my friend was extremely impressed with how well all of these fish fight and how beautiful these fish are and he cant wait to get back and fish these lakes again. other than losing my fly rod it was a great day. sorry for the long winded report.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.