Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Although I have a little bit of experience flyfishing the salt on the east coast, I have not yet given it a try out here. Can anyone recommend some beaches up in the North Sound to fish? I am up in Bellingham, but work in Mount Vernon, so anywhere North of the Stilly would be close for me. I am not looking for any secrets, just some public access that would be worth combing with poppers and clousers. Just finished building a sweet 6 weight and looking to test it out. Thanks in advance. Pete

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Have you ever two handed the salt with shooting heads? I would check out this site-
http://apps.ecy.wa.gov/shorephotos/index.html

It seems to me there was a few spots along Chuckanut drive, but it has been awhile since I drove that way. I would get some maps and start driving that coast line, but if its like here in Seattle, there will be very little access except parks and you may have to pay for parking. Wish I could help you more.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pete,

This has been a tough area for me. The Skagit and the Stilly have great runs of cutts but the estuary is hard to get to. The Warm Beach area would be great but the people who live on that beach don't provide easy access as far as I can see. The dike area from Conway north has some public fishing areas that may provide access with a short hike. A lot of birdwatchers use these areas to do their thing. A good atlas will show small roads that dead end close to the beach. My plans are to explore some of these soon.

Camano Island State park looks good to me and seems to be way underfished. I'v been told that this is a good area for dollies. In fact this entire region should be great for dollies. Any sculpin pattern should work. On the west side of the island there is a small boat launch and county park called Cavelero. It looks good but I've never seen anyone fish it. My business partner has fished this area in a boat in his younger years with good results(trolling with spoons, etc).

Another area that looks interesting is due west of La conner. My atlas does not show anything but there is a long beach with a boat launch and good parking. I stumbled onto it not long ago. I've driven by several times and saw nobody fishing but it looks good. It is just north of the Skagit estuary. Their has to be fish in the area.

I'm going to fish these areas this spring.

Good luck

Ken

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'd consider heading to Deception pass - never fished it but see fishermen on the beach looking north to the bridge everytime I go over it. Some really BIG kings go through there on their way up the skagit - silvers and pinks too.

There is some dolly fishing off the beaches in the Swinomish slough around LaConner - to the south of the bridge - take what looks like McGlinn Island road all the way - there used to be a public beach. Check regs.

Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe a little too far south for you but Kayak Point Park west of Marysville has lots of beachfront. It is a county park and started charging for day use a few years back. I have never fished for searuns there myself. Searuns are something that I have just recently gotten into. Maybe someone else has experience fishing there and could pitch in, good luck, Jim. :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I would second Camano Island State Park as a place to check out. Haven't been there this time of year, but in late summer it can be pretty fishy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks a lot everyone for the replies and the emails. I definetly have some great starting points to start exploring. I keep looking at the maps and seeing great looking areas, but without knowing the area too intimately, it seems like property issues and access are real problems. So these leads really save a lot of time. Thanks again, and if anyone wants to throw a line, salt or fresh, drop me a line at [email protected]
pete

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Ghost,
Semiamoo Spit, that seems like a great place to fly-fish the salt! Maybe in the late summer I can hook up w/you for some src's. Also those creeks hold some nice fish. All kinds of birds hangout around there too. I usually take out my pram and ride the tide! e-mail me for some close spots-- [email protected]

I am a big fan of deceptions pass, West beach and a very cool place called Ala spit.

worth a try?
Mcronariver

·
Registered
978 Posts
Try the park on the east side of Camano. I fish that before and you can catch cutts and dollies there. Not much access except in front of the bulkhead. Check it out at low tide and you'll notice kind of a rocky point in a otherwise sandy beach right in front of the southern part of the bulkhead. The fish are prone to concentrate there. There's a boat launch there too. If you do the boat thing go south and fish Tyee beach, thats one of the best spots on Camano. No beach access there unless you know someone. Same with most of the rest of Camano. One place you might check out is the old English Log boom on the north side of Camano by the airport. It use to be a real nice beach with totally open access to everyone but development on the bluffs up above has kinda killed that. Some people say since the county road ends at the beach it is still open. But personaly I've haven't been there for awhile. The state park is good for blackmouth off the beach once in awhile but that's kinda hit or miss. The park would be nice bring a lunch and spend some time fishing and if that doesn't work out enjoy the beach.
I'd like to find some beaches by Mount Vernon myself, just closer to home. Been thinkin' about Bayview park. Maybe by the oil refineries at Anacortes, but I think they might of closed some of the beaches, paranoid about terroists blowing up a refinery I guess. Bayview has possibilities cause it's just a few miles from the mouth of the Samish River and I know that river has some nice cutts in it, the biggest cutt I've ever hooked was in that river. No I didn't land it, fish wrapped herself around a brush pile and broke off, but it was bigger than 24 inches. I can still see that fish wrapping my leader around that branch. Oh well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.