Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to try to get over and hit some of the northern washington lakes next week (May 5th) . Does anyone have any info on how any of the following lakes are or should be fishing (Chopaka, Aenas, Ell, Blue lake -southwest of Oroville- Big Twin)or does anyone have any suggestions on other lakes to try?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Mike,

I just spent a long weekend fishing in Sidley, Ell and Aenas lake. Ell Lake has very little water in it and while I didn't catch any fish, my friend fishing with and intermediate type II line managed to catch 11 fish between 12" and 16" on leech patterns.

On Sidley Lake, it was quite cold but I did manage three fish between 12" and 14" on a red bead head damsel.

Finally, on Aenas Lake, I caught a 14" and a 16" rainbow using a red-tailed Nyerges nymph. (Speaking of the fish at Aenas, one of them was blind in one eye. I would be curious if anyone knows what causes that since I have caught several fish like that in Aenas over the years.)

Good luck and write a report if you have time.:thumb

DK

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
1,000 Posts
I DID FISH AENAS LAST SPRING AND HAD GOOD SUCCESS. JUST OFF THE BOAT LAUCH TO THE RIGHT CAN BE PRODUCTIVE, ALSO FARTHER TO THE RIGHT OF THE BOAT LAUCH THERE IS A PIPE LEADING INTO THE LAKE AND AROUND THERE CAN BE GOOD AS WELL. SOME OF THE BEST TIMES I HAD WAS THROWING VERY SMALL PARACHUTE ADAMS OR SPARKLE DUNS INTO THE TREES/BRUSH AT THE LEFT OF THE BOAT LAUCH IN THE CORNER. BIGGER BROWNS WERE CRUISING IN THERE AND IT WAS A FISH EVERY THREE OR FOUR CASTS FOR QUITE SOME TIME. COULDNT GET MY SONS OFF THE LAKE THEY WERE HAVING SUCH A GREAT TIME, AND COULDNT BLAME THEM EITHER.

I HAVENT BEEN TO BIG TWIN FOR A COUPLE YEARS NOW, BUT FROM WHAT MY FRIENDS ARE TELLING ME THE WATER LEVEL IS WAY DOWN AND IT IS INDEED TOUGH. I'D STILL HAVE TO SEE IT MYSELF, BUT I HAVE HEARD OF THE PROBLEMS OF THE LAKE BEING DRAINED. A GOOD FRIEND IS GOING OVER THERE IN A FEW DAYS TO SEE FOR HIMSELF. HIS REPORT WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME TO MAKE A DECISION. I HAVE ALSO HEARD THEY ARE GOING TO BE PUMPING WATER INTO THE LAKE TO KEEP IT UP TO NORMAL LEVEL ONCE AGAIN, BUT NO IDEA OF ITS VALIDITY.

I GET THE IMPRESSION YOU HAVE BEEN TO THE LAKES BEFORE. AENAS IS A DUST BOWL, A HUGE DUST BOWL THAT CAN BE WINDY. NOT TOO CAMPING FREINDLY. BIG TWIN IS A LITTLE MORE FREINDLY WHEN NOT FISHING. THE CAMP DOES HAVE GRASS, BATHROOM, AND A BETTER SITUATION TO BE IN WHEN NOT IN THE PONTOON.

HAVE FUN NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. HEY, YOUR NOT AT WORK. GREG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.