Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing the S fork Snoqualmie today I caught numerous West Slope cutties. Not so sure I was aware of their presence in there. I usually catch what I thought were Coastal (not anadromous ones), Brookies and Rainbows. Am I the only one that didnt know this or have I just not been paying attention?? Wish I took pics though, I cought a couple that were brilliantly reddish orange that would've prooved very photogenic.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've caught several westslope cutts out of the sf. How far down river were you fishing? There is a barrier upstream from Ollalie and I've never seen westslopes below that. The fish in my avatar is a sf westslope.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
Some of the tribs up that way have them too.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
This has been a topic of discussion several times in the past. The usual conclusion is that the westslope cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki lewisi, commonly called, in those days, Montana blackspots) population resulted from widespread stocking of them in many alpine lakes from which they escaped/were washed out to establish themselves in the tributaries and forks of the Snoqualmie.

·
Strictly FF
407 Posts
I agree that the SF is a special place. And, my experience is that you can catch the SF Slam without having to fish different sections ... there are places where you can catch all three species in the same water ...

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
I agree that the SF is a special place. And, my experience is that you can catch the SF Slam without having to fish different sections ... there are places where you can catch all three species in the same water ...
Agree.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For sure, I've had days where the S.F. is like a box of chocolates, you never know what youre gonna get...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.