Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
To each his own I suppose. Retarded tho IMO
I bet that spider wire braid is tough shit.
And it causes alot of friction in his guides, which eliminates the need for much drag, kinda like shpeying it up.

I agree tho, definitley on the rediculous side, I havent fished there yet. but I will be fishing a 7 or 8 weight.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Yeah, thats pretty douchey. Just keep him away from the chromer streams. I know a bunch of people who use 5wts for steel, I know they over-tire fish. All for the "sport" of it. Lame. When I was guiding in alaska I had a guest try and use a 4wt for silvers, I guess I dont get it. I like it when a fish kicks out of my hand hard, then there is no question in my mind that the fish is unharmed.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
If they are fish that are legal to keep and he's keeping them within his legal limits then to each his/her own. [random thoughts of swing/nymph and float and fish/anchor or wade converstations...where all legal there are as many opinions on what should be done and how as there are folks to offer their two cents] That is not why I have a lightweight fly rod though. What does a 0000 look and feel like? I've never waggled anything lighter than a 1wt and that is pretty delicate.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
Why does a guy from Washington go fishing and then put all the shit about his fish in a Montana newspaper. Doesn't he feel he'll get laughed at if he posted it in a Washington local paper.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
It serves us all to use the commensurate rod weight, drag setting, and tippet size, as well as proper handling technique, for quick playing of any fish we intend to release. It's unfortunate that we also share waters with the unenlightened, uninformed and simply unintelligent.

Leland.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
He's after records and pulicity and ego tripping. To each his own but he's no friend of the fish And I wouldn't want to fish with him. It would be interesting to see his equipment especially the way he builds his rods. I can't imagine the rod companies bothering to make that light weight type. I'm just not interested and my lightest is a 4wt. that I really don't use much. I use my 5 through 9wts which is enough for me.

G

·
How many of you have fished with something like a 000? Depending on the rod and your skill level you might be surprised how much back bone they have....

I've landed some surprisingly larger fish then intended when fishing rivers or sloughs...up to pink salmon (13 in an hour) and they came in just as fast on that rod as any other I've used...Strip strip, hook up...pull um in...not that big of a deal...

Weight of the rod is IMHO vastly over rated in comparison to skill level and intent...Trophy hunting on a light rod for the record books is weak that I agree on...but that's been happening since records were kept....bimeney twist knots etc. all part of an odd game for some...kind of like trophy hunting on a ranch I guess...

Before you shoot the messenger, try out some of these rods...yeah they are a hoot with smaller fish..but not a lot of difference with larger either...tippet/leaders will break long before most modern rods...

This is strictly based on my own experience (sage tcr) and guys I know who fish with them exclusively..Don't know about lakes as that would be a different ball game all together...

The rods are light, they are fun and with a little skill, landing fish wise, not a whole hell of a lot different then any other single hand i've had..I know that may sound like b.s. but try it and tell me what you think..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.