Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving back from Walla Walla yesterday and took advantage of a detour back up through Vantage to recon Nunnally Lake. A good thing too, as Margaret like it so much, she felt we ought to do a camping/fishing trip there. :thumb She actually thought it more beautiful than Dry Falls. Anyway, with the thought of her being there with me, can anyone tell me if there are good launch points at any of these lakes suitable for canoes? If she isn't able to buy a pair of waders before our trip there, we will be stuck in a canoe--at least she will be. I assume there is plenty of camping available, as I saw the 15-day limit on stays there.

· previously micro brew
4,660 Posts
Depending on the lake you hit, the walk can be considerably longer than a quarter mile. A canoe is doable, but it will take some effort to get it to the lake. The "camping" is rather rustic, mostly in the parking lots. Nunnally has two lots, Lenice has a rather large area and you can access Merry from this lot. Be advised that the wind can really hit the area, making for a rather sleepness night if you're in a tent. Keep an eye out for snakes.

· Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

A friend and I carried a canoe into Nunnally last year and afterwards wondered WHAT we were thinking of! It turns out the a quarter mile is just about right. I guess the best we could figure was that we were optimistic about the distance between parking lot and water. What made it even a worse decision was that the wind came up strongly from west to east and made it basicaly imposible to paddle back to our launch point, making the return trek even longer.
As noted elsewhere, it CAN be done. But do you want to, really?
Just my two coins worth, based on experience!

Mike
:eek

· Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

You just won the "Advice King" award. I'll be sure to convince Margaret to go with buying waders over getting wind-thrashed in a canoe. In the meantime, I'll take any suggestions on good places for canoe fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.