Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a very pleasant day at Nunnally Saturday. Sunshine, light winds, scotch, and a cigar. However, someone forgot to invite the fish. Managed 8 to hand, including one at 20" but that is a fraction of average. Not one take on chironmids though worked them deep, shallow, varied color, size, and location. The fish were over the weed beds, which have really grown in already. Several caught casting to shore in 2-3" of water though most were from 10 to 12'. Camo intermediate line with Hale Bopp or better a light calebaetis soft hackle accounted for the fish. Oh, and a half dozen sunfish also.

Thought it was going to be great with three fish in the first half-hour (started at about 10:15) so gave that up to set up chironmids. Went downhill from there. Did notice that the barometric pressure dropped about 6 points while we were there.

Noticed one earlier reference to slow fishing on the lake despite many glowing reports from Lenice. So, what does everybody think? Anyone had a great day there this year?

Ronbow

·
Do it outside!
155 Posts
I've noticed a drop in pressure can really shut down fishing. This decline was really dramatic for me at Leach a couple of years back. I thought it was me until I did some research.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, did not check the temp. Scott, fish were all bow's except one 19" brown. That one in 2' of water, go figure. There were a total of about 10 other people fising that we saw, and I heard of 3 fish between them at about 1pm! The two of us had 13 total, with a number of misses. Seems when it is slow you miss more; just not ready, or hit it too hard. Broke one off on a take, my bad. Really like the lake with all the diversity of water and size so you always have some room. Now bring on the fish! Hope they were just lazy and not an indication of poaching or winter kill.

·
-Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist
590 Posts
Hey, Ron,

I was there around the opener and there we a lot of pumpkinseeds caught, which wasn't a good sign for the health of the lake. A number of the fish that we caught were more long & snakey than in the past. Did you see any signs of these junk fish or could that be part of the cause?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say the fish we caught were a bit on the long thin side. Not bad at all but definately not footballs, not "snakey", but not like the show me your backing style of years ago, or Lenice. Did have one really hot fish, the rest came to papa readily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ron, I was there on Saturday as well, With my Dad! I caught one Tiger Trout. Missed a couple strikes, but I thought the strikes were still really light. There was plenty of action on top, many fish rolling and hitting the bugs on the surface. It was a lot of fun. I'll be going back very soon; being from Seattle, its a trip for myself. I was the one in the green pontoon....My Dad was in the blue float.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.