Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking Gil's fly tying class this week and next (He says this is his time teaching this class)

When Gil begin describing to the class how he developed the Nyerges Nymph, I quickly grabbed my point and shoot and shot video. I don't know why it was out of focus - sorry for the poor quality, but posted it anyway, as some may find this interesting.

Jeff

· Remember when you could remember everything?
7,174 Posts
Gil was the featured tyer at a meeting of the WFFC a few months ago where I watched him tie up several of his Nyerges Nymphs. But the best thing I learned from him was to use a backpacking headlamp at the bench instead of a table lamp.

K

· "Chasing Riseforms"
4,861 Posts
Gil was the featured tyer at a meeting of the WFFC a few months ago where I watched him tie up several of his Nyerges Nymphs. But the best thing I learned from him was to use a backpacking headlamp at the bench instead of a table lamp.

K
Gees Ken! Now I know how to see my fly tying vise while out camping and fishing with my camper!!!! How come I never thought of that?!!! :beathead::beathead::beathead: Thank You!

· Remember when you could remember everything?
7,174 Posts
Gees Ken! Now I know how to see my fly tying vise while out camping and fishing with my camper!!!! How come I never thought of that?!!! :beathead::beathead::beathead: Thank You!
It's such a brilliant idea (pardon the pun!) that I do it at home now too. A group of 4 or 5 of us meet monthly over the winter months to tie flies, drink beer and tell lies, each time at a different home. We'd all be lugging around big lights and extension cords to help out our old eyes. Now, thanks to Gil's example, all I need to bring is my headlamp.

K

· Registered
180 Posts
That is a good idea.
I've been fishing my version of the Nyerges Nymph for a long time now, too. I got the pattern from a black and white drawing in an old WFFC booklet back in the seventies. Caught lots of nice fish on it in many lakes. Years later, someone informed me that they weren't supposed to be tied with Christmas green chenille and they weren't generally tied on size twelve sproat hooks. Good thing the fish didn't know.

· Registered
913 Posts
Great video!

Many years ago, a guy camping next to us at Chopaka captured some nymphs and scuds in a mason jar. The live scuds looked almost identical to a sparsely tied #10 Nyerges Nymph. IMHO, it's one of the all-time great PNW stillwater flies.

Tom

· -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist
589 Posts
Fun video - thanks Jeff.

There's one part that wasn't complete, and I'm wondering if he came back to it. He said he didn't name the fly, that someone else did when he came back and described what he was using. All he said was "Oh, a Nyerges Nymph". Did he ever elaborate on the name more than that?

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marc,
I understood Gil's description of the fly name like this; Gil gave a fishing report from Jamison to his club (WFF) and the members asked what fly he was using - he told them and the group jokingly called the fly Nyerges Nymph. The name stuck. I can ask him to clarify if you heard somthing I didnt'.

Ken,
I brought my point and shoot Pentax camera to the tying class to take a few pictures for the Whidbey club website. At some point it occured to me I should shoot some video, as I rarely remember the camera can do this. I took video of Gil tying the Nyerges Nymph from the first row, then went back to my seat in the 3rd row. That's when Gil told this story and I was slow on the draw getting the video started. The video/audio is bad but it is what it is.

I didn't take this video with the intention of posting on wff.com, but after posting it to youtibe for our club website, I decided other wff.com members would appreciate the local fly fishing history.

Whidbey Island Club is fortunate to have Gil participating. His enthusiasm is an inspiration. He's teaching fly casting class at 8AM this Saturday at Lone Lake. This after a week of 3 tying classes and a club meeting - and he's 89.

· -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist
589 Posts
Marc,
I understood Gil's description of the fly name like this; Gil gave a fishing report from Jamison to his club (WFF) and the members asked what fly he was using - he told them and the group jokingly called the fly Nyerges Nymph. The name stuck. I can ask him to clarify if you heard somthing I didnt'.
Ah, I didn't hear the "jokingly" part . Thanks.

· Registered
98 Posts
Jeff, thanks for sharing. I have never had the privilege of meeting Gil, but I have been tying and catching fish on his "nymph" since early eighties. It has saved many trips to Dragon Lake when nothing else was working. Again, thanks--djflyfish

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.