Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This SE Ga flatlander is getting ready for my Wyoming trip. All this talk of thingofabober / indicator fishing has me worried about being burned as a heretic. So a couple of questions. 1) Is fishing nymphs under a larger dry such as a Chernobyl or a hopper morally acceptable or cause for condemnation. 2) Is it possible to high stick or Czech nymph from a drift boat. I figure if nothing else I'll bring my 7wt and chunk big streamers, but I do want to do the honorable thing if possible. Down here in SE Georgia the ethical standard is to use one stick of dynamite at a time, so my bar down here is pretty low. Looked on utube but all the float nymph videos ended up using big indicators. I am hoping to be led from the dark side by this band of skillful flingers of feather and fur. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G

·
I prefer to use large drys myself , but the reality of it is its your trip do what you want and fish how you like. If your going the guided route fish what they recommend, I would ask the local fly shop in the area what's presently working if I was on a self guided trip.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
A big dry is a great indicator.
An indicator is a great indicator.
High sticking is a great way toof.
People will judge you regardless because they are shalloe, jealous and have a negative disposition. Just fish and have a good time.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
It is called fishing naked or perhaps uninhibited by the blobber.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
I don't care what anyone thinks about it but I always dead drift my dynamite under an indicator.

TC

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't care what anyone thinks about it but I always dead drift my dynamite under an indicator.

TC
Now that is funny!!

Heading out on the 14th. Bringing one of my redfish buddies so while wife and in-laws hike and shop we'll fish. Plan on doing Yellowstone park one day, 3 days of drift boat and one day of flat creek. In-laws putting us up in Jackson Hole so that's center of operations. Be a good break before MD Anderson and more BC treatment.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Dude, if you're not experienced at nymphing....just use an indicator. There's a reason they are so widely used. There is no ethical concern in the least, and the majority of people fly fishing the rivers there will be running indicators. So as mentioned above, fish the way you want and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Is fishing nymphs under a larger dry such as a Chernobyl or a hopper morally acceptable or cause for condemnation. 2) Is it possible to high stick or Czech nymph from a drift boat.
Yes, a "hopper and dropper" is a tried and true method, and you don't need an indicator, though it makes it easier to fish at distance and is perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I love fishing naked but I use SPF-50. Seriously - suggest using what works best. Personally, I love indicator fishing. The whole hi-stick, dead drift methods looks more difficult and since I have to travel about ten hours to fish MT rivers, I fish what works best for me. Indicators. Hoping to make it out this fall and then may try streamers. Have fun, take lots of pictures and post a report.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, yes, I guess you can fish any way you want. But if you're fishing from a guide's boat, he'll have some very specific ideas about how you should rig up to fish. And you should listen to him/her. And a big bushy dry fly is not as good an indicator as an indicator. Even foam ones eventually get soggy and hard to keep afloat, and you can't adjust the depth of the nymph without retying. It's certainly "morally acceptable," it just limits the water you can effectively fish. As to tight lining/Czech nymphing from a drift boat, it limits your reach to within a rod's length or so of the boat also limiting the water you can fish. Just use the indicator.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Indicators are just another tool to have in your arsenal. If you don't want big rubber thingamabobbers, get a slinky or a New Zealand indicator pack. Even the most uppity arseholes will admit the New Zealand indicators are pretty slick. But I'd come prepared with multiple options...dry dropper, higher floating indicator, or high stick tight line...etc. Let the river and structure tell you what is appropriate to reach the fish. I don't like thingamabobbers because they kink your leader, increase fouling of the line when turning over a double nymph rig, and can impede your drift. That said, when I take my dad out, I put a big pink thingamabobber on his line because it's high visibility for his eyes, is unsinkable all day, and he catches plenty of fish when using it. Sometimes when I am fishing really turbulent and deep plunge pools with really heavy nymphs from a distance, I pop on the largest size thingamabobber because any other indicator will get dragged down in the churn. The bobber floats high, and acts like a pivot point where I can keep line control in really difficult situations. Some uppity purest might turn their nose up at that, but then they would also have to turn their nose up at the beast I drag out of the deep.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.