Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some of the threads regarding nymphing and I had my first experience with it this past week. I found it challenging to say the least, especially in fast moving water with numerous seams and rocks. I just about drove my guide crazy with my sad attempts at drag free drifts. I started to get it down after a couple of hours and he seemed a bit pleased and relieved at the end of the day. So was I. I posted the results under Cast and Blast. I still prefer rippin' and strippin' streamers but the nymphing sure produced results.

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Hey now, this board is only big enough for a FEW of us dirty nymphers. Now go back to swinging Karl.

:thumb:

Anybody that says nymphing is easy, isn't doing it right. Good job on your first time trying it.

·
SeaToTree
260 Posts
took me a while to pick-up or feel dangerous out there but definitely pays off. The biggest and most valuable skill for me was learning the dead drift, especially with multiple currents and seams and learning where to throw it. Once you get that down, you'll catch alot of fish!

·
card shark
2,315 Posts
One thing clear to me in the endless debate between swinging and nymphing is that neither technique is adequate for covering all of the water. I agree with you Karl, the learning curve for proper nymphing is harder than for swinging.

Biggest benefits to my nymphing game was the use of a 10ft rod, for lifting and mending line, use of a 'hinged' nymph rig setup, to help get weighted nymphs deep faster and detect hits better, and learning to pile case, for better drag free drifts. Oh ya, and to not be afraid of using very tiny nymphs to catch and land steelhead and large trout.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey now, this board is only big enough for a FEW of us dirty nymphers. Now go back to swinging Karl. Anybody that says nymphing is easy, isn't doing it right. Good job on your first time trying it.
iagree

·
Registered
433 Posts
You know the most helpful thing I did that really helps presentation is to use a crazy long leader to keep the line off the water all together. I buy 9 foot leaders tapered down to 10# test and then tie on at least another four feet of 8 and then 6 pound for the nymphs. I always fish a double nymph on rivers.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Nymphing and dry fly fishing have alot in common. Most of the skills for one overlap for the other.
The first time I listened to Gary Borger He asked the crowd, "where's the best place to fish?" His answer, "where the fish are."
That's what I've been doing ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.