Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in Twin Falls, ID (not Seattle like my profile says). My wife and kids will be away for much of October. I know, I know....this is an almost unbelievable opportunity, and I've already begun day dreaming about fishing places I never get to when they are around. (Don't get me wrong...I love my family...but YEE FREAKIN' HAAAA!!!):D

When my family is around, most of my fishing involves short day trips within a few hours of home, with the expectation that I will be home in time to read to my kids before tucking them in. Now that they won't be here, there's really nothing stopping me from being a little more adventurous and exploring new water. I'm planning to fish a couple of long weekends in a row (Oct. 14-16, Oct 21-23) with obvious overnight stays.

I'm thinking about exploring SE Idaho, SW Montana, and opportunities in Yellowstone (west side) and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm just gathering potential ideas at the moment and here's some that I've come up with (no particular order yet):

Idaho:
Henry's Fork
Fall River
Teton River

SW Montana:
Madison
Beaverhead
Big Hole

West Yellowstone:
Firehole
Gibbon
Bechler

Also, I'm considering camping, but if it's too cold I can just sleep in the back of the car. Any advice on this? I suppose the chances for early snowfall exists, but how realistic is it?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all!

@Swimmy - advice on outer wear?

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
To much driving for a long weekend. Just take the whole week off. Hit one of those states and have a ball.

As for the weather. Unless it's a full on blizzard, you'll still find good fishing with very little pressure.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
From Seattle to the Big Hole and the Beaverhead. Dillon area is about 12 hours of driving. Speed limit in Idaho and Montana is 80 mph on the Freeways. Don't know how it is on Washington freeways. Last I heard it was 75 mph And if there is no snow in the Passes. The Madison is about 60 miles farther from Dillon.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'd drive to bend and get way more fishing in. Or save 3+ hours and only drive to missoula. I drove out to bozeman area on a 4.5 day trip in june and 10+ hours is way too much driving for that short of a trip.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...so I SHOULD have updated my info. I don't live in Seattle anymore. I'm in Twin Falls, ID. That might change people's perspective on why I am considering this region. My bad.

I can't seem to see where to change my location info. Lil' help?

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
I love fall fishing as you get to utilize all the fishing fashion arrows in your quiver.

And curious, how old are you? I'll sleep in the back of my truck if I have to but these days I prefer to just get a room.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Without a question, Montana.

Why?

Big, BIG dumb, angry browns and Bulls.

If you have never fished Montana in late September/October/early November, you haven't...well, yah.

It is simply that good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good pointers. Thanks.

I'm considering floating the Beaverhead and possibly the Big Hole. For the other weekend I'm considering the Firehole and Madison (the section inside the park). I understand the Madison just upstream from Hebgen Lake is prime grizzly habitat and tent camping isn't allowed. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
We haven't got our trip scheduled yet to the S. Fork. That will be a decision we make as we get a little closer.

Not sure about the tent thing but obviously you can backpack/tent camp in the park with the proper permit.

If you make it to the Madison area, leave a day to drive to Ennis and meet up with me. I'll take you down a really cool stretch of water that not many get to see.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
I wouldn't bet on fishing the park that late in the season. Keep your options open and go were the weather allows.

That being said, I'd opt for the park. Big browns make my casting arm twitch.:)

Reactions: Alosa

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Yeah...so I SHOULD have updated my info. I don't live in Seattle anymore. I'm in Twin Falls, ID. That might change people's perspective on why I am considering this region. My bad.

I can't seem to see where to change my location info. Lil' help?
Go into your home page and click on Personal details It's in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.