Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off to the Redman area to fish both the Crooked and Deschutes, does the same game used on the Kalama and Lewis work there? We will be walking the Crooked and floating the "D". I'll appriciate all the info I can get on both rivers. My quiver is full of spey and switch rods, my 8wt Ion and my Echo2 5wt. MEN'S Waders, boots, sun glasses, hats water bottle and sun screen and PDF, trout net, am I covered. I have 4 full boxes of flies, both trout and steelhead, a place to stay at my brother's and $450 in cash. What am I missing :hmmm::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::beer1::cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya but I didn't want to babysit. ha! It would be fun taking Jason over but this is kind of a big brother trip. We're both not getting any younger so I'm just trying to spend some quality time with him. Like so many posts here, some times it's not always about the fish. But I would like to catch more than he does!Jason would liven things up though, especially in those pink waders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just returned from a trip to the Bend, OR area. Had a half-day fishing trip with Cascade Guides & Outfitters to the Crooked River. I consider myself a bit of a beginner but had my most successful day ever. Nymphing was the key. Caught about 12-15 redbands (all sizes) with a few whitefish thrown in. A beautiful area and the river was fantastic for wading.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Bring on the small stuff for the crooked (4 or 5 weight) and when you float the D you may want to go below Maupin. A few steel have been caught from Warm Springs to Trout Creek but it is still a little early for good numbers. Best of luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just heard from big bro to expect a white river on the Deschutes. Am I safe to assume that this has something to do with the snow melt off? I should treat this the same as out colored water conditons? Big gaudy colorful flies like up North? I know they're in but will they see my offerings? This is starting to piss me off and I haven't even left yet.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The White River is a tributary of the D and it it below Shears Falls. It clouds up the river downstream of there after Mt Hood gets rain. I have only seen the upper river blown out once and do not think it has recently. You can always call a shop in Maupin to find out. Regardless, I have and have been with people that have swung fish on the D with only a couple feet of visibility, so do not worry about it too much. They will be closer to shore if that happens. Just enjoy your time on the water. You never know until you go.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Jim we should have talked more before you left. On the deshutes the water may be off color but it's more often that than clear, The fish spend a lot of time near the banks and you can spook them easily by just getting out of the boat. Try to stop upstream of where you want to fish and work your way down quietly. Lots depends on what stretch of river you are fishing. Assuming Warm springs down. it's easy floating and fair wading and you can fish the back eddys and the mid river islands and the drop off points on the right side going down river unless you have an indian permit. With a permit you can fish the whole river but watch for the posted areas around the islands that are spawning areas on the indian side. October caddis dry and wet, tied down caddis, stone fly nymphs, the standard steelhead patterns, skunks, macks canyon, freight trains, egg sucking leeches etc. Have a great time talk to you later. The snakes are there the beer and waitress you'll have to bring your self.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.