Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new route puts me on the Purdy spit most of the day. Mostly delivering the waterfront in Purdy, then over into Wauna and Lake Kathyrn and ending up at Minter. But I've noticed the same fish flyfisherman fishing that area. Just curious if any of them are WFFers? I don't have time to stop and run down to the beach and ask. Just curious if I should honk as I drive by.

·
Stickin' pigs.
126 Posts
You wouldn't be the only one that honks so it would be tough to know it was you. What if your truck just happened to break down for a couple hours though? And you just so happened to have your "tools" with you? That's what I would do if I were you. Just sayin.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
You wouldn't be the only one that honks so it would be tough to know it was you. What if your truck just happened to break down for a couple hours though? And you just so happened to have your "tools" with you? That's what I would do if I were you. Just sayin.
I once drove a delivery van for a garment supply company in Honolulu. A couple of times when I had a full van of deliveries all over the island, I blew through my deliveries as fast as I could, wasting no time chatting with the various receiving clerks. Each time I managed to carve out about 40 minutes of slack for myself.
Once found me bodysurfing the barrels at Sandy Beach for a good half hour, as I just swung into the parking lot as i was driving by in the delivery van (had my trunks and fins with me). The other time I whipped the van into my apartment parking lot and took my own car down to Point Panic to bodysurf the epic waves that day. I got three nice barrels in 20 minutes. Then I whipped back to my place, re-exchanged rigs, and was back to the warehouse by the time my hair had dried off. Pulled it off, but had a hard time explaining the sunburn, though.

So..... it can be done! Well, maybe not...I had no radio and cell phones were not yet invented.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Jerry,

I used to fish the Spit quite a bit a couple of years ago but only a few times in the last year - fuel prices, bridge toll and job loss have greatly restricted my fishing opportunities. Was there once a few weeks ago and did not see (or catch) even one fish, not even a fingerling or smolt - did see one little crab though.

I like the Spit because there is usually lots of room for a casting moron like me....AND, there is more opportunity for the traveling public to witness first-hand exactly how to cast tailing loops and big, ugly wide-open loops in general. bawling:

Jc :rofl:

·
Registered
191 Posts
The spit is a great place to fish for SRC and salmon. I fish it at least 15 times a year which is not as often as I would like. When my business travels take me over to that side of the water I always allow some time to fish. Honk away!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm there most wednesdays if not a lot of wind , it's my day off. I'll keep an eye out for you,Read a lot of your posts, be glad to meet you

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry, I've noticed a UPS truck out there that hauls a trailer. Is that you?

Purdy is feast or famine, there's really no middle ground.
Yup, that would be me. I tow a portable UPS center. My trailer (aka "The Pup") has packages for two UPS trucks we load out on the Peninsula. So if you see that trailer coming over, that would be me.

Ok, so it may be some of you I'm seeing.

And, for the record. Wasn't looking for fishing info. Been fishing the spit and surrounding areas for well over 20 years now. Before I took the route I had before (Uptown Gig Harbor area) I was the lead cover driver for the Key Peninsula/Ollalla routes. So was out fishing the salt alot all those years. Always keep a rod ready to fish in the package car. I need to get another pack rod to toss in my truck (got rid of my old one). But know how it goes fishingwise. Why I'm glad to get the route permanently. Get access to some private beaches and can fish the Minter bubble from the shoreline where it's legal when the salmon are in. :) Thankfully, alot of the customers remember me. But, it's time to get in good with the new people who have moved in since I used to cover out there. Especially since now I'm permanent out there now. :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hey Jerry
i pass yopur truck all the time
at least i know you are working when i see it
it is easier to id the purdy guys by the're rigs
i drive a dirty white econoline
hope to see you out there
if you ever get south of joemma slice me a pm
there is a nice coho spot down there

but alas i am in mexico city for the next week drunk on cash from the commercial fisherman
thinking about going to get some tacos now

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL Rotato, yeah, I used to fish the bar just at Joemma on the private beach there alot. I don't deliver down there at all anymore. My route stops at Minter Creek, and only go as far as Key Center only when I'm helping with pickups down there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.