Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if you were heading out this weekend to an alpine lake full of Brookies, what flies (dry and sub surface) would you bring?

·
If you tell them, they'll know!
177 Posts
Might be a tad bit late in the season for dries if this lake is way up there. I would bring some standard nymphs like copper johns or prince nymphs as attractors. For matching the lake I would include a selection of chironimids, it might be out of season for them but trouties like them.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
For sure a Nyerges Nymph tied with a few strands of lemon wood duck for a short tail, dark brown hackle and a lacquered red thread head. Almost a 100% probability of catching brookies with that fly.

Ive

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Sprucefly works well for me

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've never been let down by a Parachute Adams in an Alpine Lake. If you find a fish rising I wouldn't hesitate to tie one on and give it a shot. I always have a small assortment of small soft hackels, nyerges nymphs, and olive willie buggers. I always try the parachute first, then switch to something else.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
At this time of year the fly might not matter much...there is a good chance the fish will be totally worked up getting ready to spawn. Look for them close to the banks and anywhere there is moving water or gravel they can so their thing in.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I was out riding yesterday on my Quad and I came upon this series of Beaver ponds. It was full of little fat fish. They were about 5 to 6 inches long and broad at the shoulders(well if they had shoulders, that's where they were wide at). If I make it there aging I'm taking my 3wt. Got to watch where you step as there are cows eating grass up in there.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
I've never been let down by a Parachute Adams in an Alpine Lake. If you find a fish rising I wouldn't hesitate to tie one on and give it a shot. I always have a small assortment of small soft hackels, nyerges nymphs, and olive willie buggers. I always try the parachute first, then switch to something else.
This..... works for me 99% of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.