Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to an alert member, the owner of the Old old Sage rod has been found.

He lost his rod in Springfield Reservoir, Idaho around 2002-03, where it was recovered the next spring.

An alert member recognized the post and called him. The rod and reel that caught fish as late as last Wednesday will be returned to him shortly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good on you!
Did you happen to find out what exactly it was?
Stew...who lost the now found Sage, said it was a custom GFL blank 9 foot 5 wt. built by a friend who has now passed on. GFL series were Sages' first built from 1982 to 1983.

It is an old old well traveled Sage, lost in Springfield Reservoir, Idaho about 2002, found in 2003, and traveled to Fairbanks, South Padre Island, Lake Havasu, AZ, and Puerto Penasco, Mexico since then.

Now it is going home to Stew in northern California along with its original SA reel and line.....all which I loved to fish with

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was shocked when Stew contacted me. For 15 years I had wondered about the "provenance" of the rod.

This time my efforts were only aimed at finding out what the rod was......I had given up trying to find the original owner years ago.

Thank you for putting the pieces together... Old old rod soon on its way home.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Grant,

Kind of the rest of the story. I saw the name "R L Stewart" and thought I wonder if that is "Stewie" which is the name I know him. I am the Chair for membership for the Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers so I have all the application forms and I pulled out Stewie's application to see find his real first name which is Richard. So the real first name of Richard coupled with Shasta Rod information gave me a strong suspicion it may be his rod. You know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grant,

Kind of the rest of the story. I saw the name "R L Stewart" and thought I wonder if that is "Stewie" which is the name I know him. I am the Chair for membership for the Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers so I have all the application forms and I pulled out Stewie's application to see find his real first name which is Richard. So the real first name of Richard coupled with Shasta Rod information gave me a strong suspicion it may be his rod. You know the rest of the story.
It is his and will soon be on its way home

·
The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
2,100 Posts
Wow, what an amazing story.

Major props to both Grant Baugh and NCL! Good on ya, mates!

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Karma is a bitch, or a goddess, depending on one's actions. Your actions really will reward you in the long run. What a great thing you did!

Reactions: Freestone

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This is great!
I lost a custom Dan Craft 4wt on the north fork of the Couer D'Alene 10 or 12 years ago, can you see what you can do for me Grant? I still miss that rod dearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.