Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
A feather-wing Black Ghost will catch every species of trout in the river.
One time in a single pool on the Green River one did just that- plus a super-sized whitefish!

Reactions: Deep Swing

·
Justified
4,940 Posts

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Yes how about muddler minnow, White & black marabou, supervisor, nine three, cardinelle

BG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can honestly say I've never caught a fish with a muddler. To be fair I haven't fished one in years, but I did often when I was starting out and it just never produced for me. As such it's become one of those flies I have zero confidence in, and confidence is huge in fishing.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Well, I guess all my ties are old fashioned. I have not looked at any books about patterns since late 80's. Now there is this newfangled thing on the interweb called SBS and/or Youtube. I have not looked at those either.

IMHO the old patterns are now new because no one uses them. SSSHHHH - They also catch fish because the fish have not seen them either. BTW I am still using materials from way back so no purple in my selection of materials...

Carey Special (modified) is my go to fly in lakes. Is it a streamer or a nymph? Not sure - but it works well. I use deer hair rather than pheasant for the hackle and a marabou tail so it lasts longer and may float a little off the bottom...

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I can honestly say I've never caught a fish with a muddler. To be fair I haven't fished one in years, but I did often when I was starting out and it just never produced for me. As such it's become one of those flies I have zero confidence in, and confidence is huge in fishing.
I was the same way for years and years Nick, but then I figured out how to fish them, at least in a way that was effective.

I swing/quarter it downstream, kinda like when fishing for steelies.

Reactions: jake-e-boy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here is my old streamer book. Has lots of old patterns and their history. Decided to tie a Nine Three. Put some dark green flash about accent on it. Otherwise standard dressing.

This is a smelt imitation developed in Maine for trout/salmon. Called Nine Three since the first fish caught on it was 9lbs 3 ounces. Will be tying some more.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Dude, if I could tie that, it wouldn't go anywhere near the water.

Edit: At a closer look, that doesn't look too hard. At first glance, I thought it was one of Mark Mercer's flies. That guy can tie!
This is much easier than the living jewels that Mark ties. The tail, body and throat is basic. The hardest part is placing the wings. A better finished product results if you can match the four hackles for the wing so that all four are equal length and width. Strip the stems so that the hackles are the same length and wrap them tightly so they won't wander when you mount the GP crest and the JC cheeks. I have had results with this on searuns, RBTs, whitefish and years ago I took a small summer run on one.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Years ago when I was steelheading a lot I took most of my fish on a Muddler. But just for the hell of it I tied up a Blacknosed Dace one evening before a morning trip to the Wind River. On the second cast in the early morning fog I hooked a 12-14# steelie that took the dace in the surface film. Still a nice pattern and good producer.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I always loved the look of a Matuka. Sort of like a gentleman's Zonker....

I love Muddlers. Most versatile (and second-most reliable) fly in my box.
I also use muddlers more than just occasionally (and it's variations) with success.

Mickey Finn produces too, but haven't used them recently.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I like Mickey Finn's, but I substitute olive buck-tail rather than yellow on the top, and add a bit of olive/brown flash. The Tom Murray Rolled Muddler is one of my favorite sea-run cutthroat flies. For me, streamers fish a lot better when tied sparsely.

Tom

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I love traditional streamers! I posted this in another thread, but I couldn't resist buying a bunch more when I was in Maine last month. These are all trout-sized:
Good ammo there, Freestone.
Especially nice that the marabou Black Ghosts and others are sporting Jungle Cock!

Reactions: Freestone
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.