Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else on this forum scuba dive? Or am I the only crazy one around here?
If your ever down in Olympia look for the guy fishing out there in his boxers and a Frog Hair hat, that would be me.

Hey here is a fun discussion.
What is everyones favorite fly rod and reel setup?

I just got a new Sage SLT 9' 5 weight rod and a Bauer LM2 reel last month, I lined it with the Sage performance taper line. I am liking it alot so far, it's hard to say I have only had it out a few times (Rocky Ford, first time out) I can't wait for the Deschutes to go down and realy put it through the loops.
Untill then there is lots of good diving to be done.:thumb

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not a scuba diver, but my favorite (actually, I don't know if it's my favorite, but it's what I have) set-up is my scott STS 9' 5wt 2pc rod with a ross cimmaron reel and new Scientific Anglers XXD line.

I also have a Sage RPL+ 10' 8wt but I don't like it as much.

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

My favorite all around rod is a GL3 9' 5wt with an Adventure reel loaded with 555 5wt . I've caught fish from small brookies to 20 lb Chum on it and have had no problems with it.

Jim

·
Whammo!
492 Posts
Can't go wrong with my Sage XP 4wt with Sage 3200 reel for trout,Just picked up a Sage RPLxi 896- 3piece 9"6 which will be rolling with 3400d reel that will be used for salt and steelies( though this is a virgin set up and still needs to be broken in!!!)

Can not miss with our boys on Bainbridge island!!

Mike:beer1

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I love my rigs--For all trout work--An Orvis Bamboo Battenkill rod, 6wt, 8 ft., Orvis Battenkill IV (brand new) and a Cortland floater.
A 9ft. 10wt. graphite Fennwick with a Hardy Saint Aiden reel. Various sink tips.
A St. Croix 6wt., 9ft., 4 piece trout rod with Scientific Angler reel and intermediate DT sinker..
In the boat, I cary both trout rods.
Hoofing on the rivers for steelhead, I use the Fennwick, hoping my reel will sing her pretty song. Seldom does though. Bob:bawling

·
Oncorhynchus clarki clarki
264 Posts
Well being a 17 year old with out a job I can't really purchase I nice end rod really because I don't exactly have the money. I do like my girlfriends St Croix that I built her for christmas a lot. It was built from a SCIV blank, it is really nice.

Sly

G

·
I gatcha all beat!

Pflueger Purist 8'6" 6wt with a $5 Eagle claw reel from a swap meet. cortland 333 WF. The reel lasted about two months, my Cattle Dog puppy bit through the line in August and I gave the rod to my best friend for an Inca snowboard. Damn I miss that backing though. Caught everything from bluegill to crappie and several conifers. Still working up to catching smolts, maybe the Washougal this summer. My wife got me a 5wt GL3 and an Orvis RM III reel and the in-laws threw in a gift certificate for The Greased Line. Now those are some REAL anniversary presents. One other thing frog: diving doesn't make you "crazy." Unless you've led an incredibly sheltered life. No, not even then.

·
264 Posts
I gatcha all beat!

That was a great setup. Up until this last year I used a 8' 5wt Plueger Shakespear with a Plueger Medalist reel and 333 WF line. I did not even have backing on it, I just tied the line right onto that little thingy on the spool, hey I think I was 10. I used this setup for about 6 years or so with the same line and I think I might have changed the leader only once all 6 years. I actually still use the Medalist but now it holds a little better line and I actually put some backing on it, which I recomend doing :thumb ,and I now have a 9' 5wt Loomis Adventure rod. I still have that Shakespear I get it out and fish it once in a while, it is fun.

Sly

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Where to start...I love collecting gear for some reason?? Kind of a bad habit but I like it?? So I have a few favorites but I will try to narrow it down :dunno

My favorite rod is one I just built: a G Loomis IMX 9ft 5wt 3 piece with a Bauer LM2 reel and Orvis Wonderline wf5f line. This rod blows my 600.00 orvis rod out of the water (and at 1/4 the price). It is a Cadillac of a rod, for my casting style and comfort anyways. Love the Bauer reel also but its hard to decide between the Bauer and the Orvis Odyssey as to my favorite yet?

Gear is Good :+

~Patrick ><>

·
264 Posts
Smart move...

For my girlsfriends rod? Just some Pac Bay guides and a Pac Bay reel seat don't remember what model, one of the cheaper ones because I didn't have that much cash at the time, I know it has a walnut insert but don't remember the exact model sorry. The blank it self hurt me a lot in that department so I had to keep it kind of cheap. I do like how it cast and even with the cheaper end components I still think it is a better build than my Loomis Adventure :) . I really enjoy building rods. I actually put two reel seats and finished two handles today. I am building my self a 4 wt that I got a bunch of components and the blank at a pretty cheap price, and the other rod I am building for my friend who is paying me. I am in the middle of building a planning form out of rock maple for bamboo rods, but I think I might put that off for a little because I might be getting a steel one made for the cost of the parts no labor charges, it will be great :) . Oh it is a great hobby, but it does cost a lot, I only wish I had more friends that wanted rods so I could build more with out having to pay for everything.

Sly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rod and Reel

I just don't know whether it is my 6 wt GL 3 with the STH reel or my Orvis TL 4 wt with the Orvis Rocky Mountain Large arbor or my Orvis T3 9 wt with the Redington RS Large arbor reel. I need to research and spend more time on the water to decide

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.