Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a recent update of the latest trip of the OST.
We went to some small spring feed creek that runs into Puget Sound. We left about around five in the morning and then parked at the end of a logging road and hike about a half mile to the edge of the creek. Then it was about a good hour of fighting are way through the thick vegetation and mud. After that we finaly reached the mouth of the creek. It was a nice creek about eight feet wide and up to four feet deep in some pools. The weather was nice and the water was warm. We lined up our rods and started casting away. When it came to lunch time we had each caughten more than are fair share of minnows. We cooked a few in the sun and had them for lunch along with some wild berries and creek water. Later after lunch we continued fishing are way upstream and came arcross a school of carp. Around six we had finally reached the spring where we all caught alot of nice trout and a few big ones that got away. It was getting late so we put up a little lean to and camped up at the spring for the night. First thing in the moring we fished the spring and hiked fives miles through the woods back to the truck.

TEAM RUGGED eat your hearts out. There was no kiddy dock or wal-mart their so I don't know if you guys would have made it.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I didn't think that there were any carp in the rivers on the wet side. And as for the small trout you were catching out of a small creek that runs into Puget Sound and eating they were probably smolts. So if they were just give yourself a big pat on your back. Because I don't think that anybody else will.

Jim

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Nice report\story.

I think this was my favorite part:
"we had each caughten more than are fair share of minnows. We cooked a few in the sun"

Are you saying you had some kind of secret 'cotton' fly? Or did you mean something like "ketchin"? As we we be "ketchin" a lot of critters?

Were those nothern pike 'minnows'? If so, did you try to collect bounty money for them?

And just what is one's 'fair share' of minnows? I need to know so I never exceed that limit. I don't want to be fish hog...

Oh, and I strongly suggest using a camp stove or fire pit when cooking those minnows. Using the sun will take way too long - especially in western WA.

And finally, that PM I sent you last time you posted a half joking email about catching smolts - you know, the one where I suggested you don'k kid around like that on this board or you'll pi$$ people off... Well, you may want to look up that PM and read it again. Oh, wait, maybe that is what you were trying to do??:beathead

·
Registered
844 Posts
Still as charming as ever.... :rolleyes

Can't wait for more stories of the caughten minnows. :rofl

·
jabs
1,138 Posts
Dude Froggy02,

I think you meant to post this on another board. I’m sure it’s an oversight so I wanted to point that out to ya. I do have great idea for your team and I think you will really appreciate this.

Why don’t you hook your team up with a patch (you know the OST Team) and make sure it is visible on your fly vest. That way we can really give you some props when we cross paths(maybe an outing). Wow!! I’m jealous!!! How do I apply!!!!
}( }( }(

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
I've always found that smolts don't offer enough meat for a meal, but let me tell ya, sun cooked carp is hard to beat. Just don't cook 'em more than about 10 seconds or they tend to get a bit over done. How about a photo some day of a fish over 10". Then, I think we will all be truely impressed. :thumb Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright now that I have your undevided attention. I will tell you what realy happend.
It was the first time I got to take my new rod down to the river, it was nice.
We went to this nice private park about half way up the Deschutes river. There we had lunch and lined up are rods. It was about a 50 foot walk down to the river. The water was very warm so all we needed was are swim trunks and our very own Olympia Smolters Team hats. Around this one bend it is about 10 feet deep and there was about a dozen carp in there. We each caught about a two dozen trout between the 6 to 16 inch range and of course one smolt a piece. You know you can't avoid it, just on your back cast they come flying through the air at you. We even found a bunch of cougar tracks on the bank which led to a deer carcas. After about five hours and a good mile or more down river we decided to call it quits. We then packed up are gear and hiked back to the truck.

I would invite you TR guys down but unfortuantly that will be the last time I will be able to fish the Deschutes untill next year. I will be moving back to Appleton, Wisconsin. But that doesn't mean the team will die I will keep you posted on all the panfish we will be catching.
:beer2

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Frog 02: What can I say? How can I congratulate you enough? What words would express my envy and admiration for your prowess and your fishing expertise as well as your culinary abilities. Sun fried carp and smolts are certainly a delight one finds only here in the great Northwest.
May I be so bold as to suggest a nice chardonnay wine: Puilly Fusse, 1997? Or maybe a bold Rhone, say a Chateau Pape de Neuf, 1994? Either would work well with the pungent and vivid taste of the slowly sun-cooked fish.
Allow me again to express my gratitude to you and your fine team.
Robert J. Lawless, President and CEO of "Team Sissy." :eek :eek :eek

G

·
Now what?

If Frog02 blesses Wisconsin with his gaeity and endearing charms who will pick up the slack here? Sure I guess we could all take turns posting about sky-diving into Olympic size pools to catch tadpoles on Vortex reels mounted on RPLxi rods, but would it really be the same? My uncle just gave me his SCUBA gear so I'll just say that along with some Navy SEALS I recently invaded French Quebec and limited out (caughten' my fair share) of bonefish and tarpon before I put a barracuda on the hood of my car for ten minutes and ate it. Anyone else care to share, I'd love to hear some other similar sories. Don't let the truth or a sense of good taste get in your way either! So long Frog, I'm sure we'll all appreciate you more once you're gone. Heck I just appreciate the last three months without you around!:beer2

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Now what?

>>My uncle just gave me his SCUBA gear so I'll just say that along with some Navy SEALS I recently invaded French Quebec and limited out (caughten' my fair share) of bonefish and tarpon before I put a barracuda on the hood of my car for ten minutes and ate it.>>

Dang that had me rolling!

:thumb :beer1

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dude, hell no!!! This is some K-mart demon imposter, but not me. I've been reading it, chuckling to myself, but as a moderator, no matter how bad I want to give froggy a few choice words, I refrain. Besides, thats what he wants, to get us all in a tizzy. I throw hissy fits with the best of them.

Bye Froggy, don't let the door hit ya in the ass! :beer2

YT:*

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hissy fits

Believe me, no one wants to see a YT hissy fit!

Seriously, bears won't even tangle with him for fear of the hissy-ness. He doesn't carry pepper spray or wear a bear bell, his rep with the woodland critters for throwing down the fits is enough to keep them all at bay.

CS }(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hissy fits

All I got to do is just give the bears that good old fashioned grin and they just calm right down. (Davie Crocket)
There are carp in some bends in the Deschutes (Olympia) you could even talk to Streamside Anglers they will tell you. There was about 10 and they were about 8-10 inches long. They were carp brown with suckers and all.
Call me an imposter, NO I wish to be nothing like you. I will develop my own style of story telling and this most recent one is crap to what I have done and what you are all about to read.
:7

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.