Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to bellingham this year, going to school at western. I'm thinking about taking a trip to Omak lake, for the lahontan Cutthroat this month. I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions for me regarding flies and techniques, or reports.

Also, I'm curious to know if there is any good Dolly fishing in the Nooksack river or any other rivers close by. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My buddy and I fished Omak Lake on the 18th. Very cold. Nobody there. Each of us caught 2 fish for our 8 hours fished. His were smaller than average at about 16". One of mine was 27" and about 7 lbs. the other was 18".
All in all we were not impressed after having read the article. Should have caught about a dozen each.
Not to be discouraged though, we will go back. They're in there, and they're big.
As for flies, big streamer patterns of all kinds. The article said it would be hard to find a big fly that the lahontans wouldn't chase. Who knows, we tried many but caught all 4 fish on 2 flies; a purple egg sucking leech and a white bunny leech.

Good luck and please post your report.

Rip some lip,

HM

·
Registered
156 Posts
I started fishing Omak Lake in the early 90's and have had some luck down at beer can beach when the weather cools down(and the crowds of sunbathers are gone) in the fall. It is a huge lake and its on the colville Reservation so you have to buy a separate licence.

The Lahontans come into the shallows chasing dragonfly nymphs 2inches or so in length.

If you read the article in the NW fly fishing mag you will see a picture of "Balancing Rock," One evening I dcided to sit on top of it and drink a beer while the sun drained its last clor on the Lake--it was cool.

I live in B-ham as well

good luck,

Mcronariver

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.