Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I are going to Omak Lake again this weekend. Has anybody been there recently? Last time for us was in January and it was a 4 fish day. Hoping for the dozen fish days that the article in NW Flyfishing promised.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A buddy and I went to the lake about 3 weekends ago. Was pretty windy the first day, beautiful the next. Most of our fishing was at the south end of the lake ("Cow Pie Beach" in the article). All in all, we landed about 20 fish between us, fishing mostly chironomids & wooly buggers. Others had about the same catch rates. Both days had the same amount of fishermen, about 10, all fly fishing. Most of the people were at the south end of the lake, but a few at the north end. All the fish were between 18-22". Not a whole lot of fight, but still a great time pulling in these hogs. But be prepared for inclement weather -- it changes quickly over there this time of year. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's the report.
Went Saturday, on the lake by 8:30, temperature right at 50 degrees. The weather went from overcast and windy to rain, to overcast, to sun, to rain, to sun. All in all not a bad day if you have the right gear.
There were only 3 or 4 other guys on the lake. The fishing was pretty good. both of us caught close to 20 each all ranging in size from 16" to 24". The Lahontans are the big ones getting up to 7 or 8 lbs in bright spawning colors. We also caught a number of rainbows which were the smallest but fought the hardest by far. I'll take a 16" rainbow fight over a 24" dead weight every time. The hot fly was definitely a white crystal flash bugger. also caught 5-6 on an olive bugger.
Anyway, that's it for now. Next trip will probably be Chopaka in June.:thumb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hatchmaster, did you say that you caught Rainbows in Omak? I thought it was very alkaline like Lenore, and only held the Lahontans. Wouldn't mind catching some big bows' though, as I will be fishing there in a few weeks myself.

Also, does anyone know if they have a rule against alcholic beverages on the reservation? I thought I saw a post a while back stating such. I like to bring a cooler full of cold ones for lunch, but I don't want to break any rules of the reservation.

Huskytrout :beer1

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hatchmaster,
Based on the Colville tribes fishing regs that I have, there are only Lahontan cutts in the lake. No mention of rainbows. I believe the fish that you are thinking are bows are actually the smaller cutts that aren't in the spawning mode like the larger more colorful cutts.
Glad to here you had a good trip.
Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, we were confused by it as well but sure enough they were rainbows. Different nose and color than the cuts. Looked just like all the other bows we've caught.

NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED ON THE RESERVATION. It doesn't say anthing in the rule book they give you but it is posted on the premises. We weren't even checked but some guys that camped in a res campground had beers friday night and were cautioned about it by the camp guy. He said not to take any to the lake or they would kick you off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hatch,
I've been on Lenore and Grimes and caught both spawners and non-spawners. The spawners go through some body changes with their color, teeth, noses etc. I bet the skin probably may get a little tougher in preperation for some spawning, fighting behavior. The non spawner are smaller fish, but very silver.
Just my thoughts, thanks again for the report.
Brian

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I think I can say with at least some certainty that Lahontans, or rainbows, or whatever, that want to spawn but are unable to do so because they have been stocked in a lake without suitable spawning sites, namely moving water with a gravel bottom, are very stressed fish, do not fight as well as a good shoe, and should be left to their lonely death. Some do survive the spawn and these can be great fish once they recover. Personally, spawning, dark fish have no interest for me. :thumb

·
Registered
12 Posts
The best way to tell if it is a Cutthroat or a Rainbow is to check the tongue of the fish as you release it.
Cutthroats have teeth on their tongue, Rainbows do not.
There are other ways to tell, but this is probably the easiest way in the field, particularly with bright Sea Run Cutt's.
Due to the alkaline conditions at Omak the Lahontan is the only Trout able to survive for more than a few days.
Have fun at Omak.

Coffeeandtrout

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.