Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out on the yakima on sunday. therewere fish rising all around me at about 2 oclock. i couldnt even see what they were feeding on. i threw blue winged ollives, mohaganys, and some cahills but no bites. i dont really know how to nymph fish, so i didnt get anything. so, my question is what were they feeding on, and what types of flies work well for this hatch?
thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was up there yesterday, as well. I managed to "trick" a few with a CDC gray bodied emerger trailing 6" behind a parachute BWO. I also 8-9 a couple on a griffith's gnat as the trailer. There were tons of midges at times with only the occassional BWO. The largest fish caught was 14" with the rest in the 10-12" range.

I think getting the fly in the right feeding lane, without any drag and not "lining" the fish will get you a hook up. Once you put them down, you need to rest the water until they start back up. I missed quite a few "takes" as they weren't the usual splashy attacks but instead softer rises. They seem to be sipping the emergers, conserving their energy because they know the emergers won't take off quickly.

Good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
315 Posts
The flows are down to a level that are very manageable for wading. Look for structure (big rocks), seams in the currents /foam lines, moving water (just not the real fast stuff). Try to hit the edge of the fast and slower water. Don't be in a big hurry to get a fly in the water but rather sit back and watch for rises. It's hard to do but getting an idea where the fish are and the timing that they are rising will help. Work tailouts of riffles will work, as well!

Nows the time to study the water while the flows are down so you'll have an idea of what the river looks like when the flows increase next spring.

Good luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.