Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, im sure you guys are sick of these newbie questions, and I tried the search option, but I still would love some simple to the point explanations on the different types of lines. I hear scandi, skagit, ect.....ect... how do they differ? What is used for what? .Im going to be buying my first spey rod this week after getting kicked in the balls by the clearwater fish for the last couple of months. I've been using a single handed rod, but spey rods look much more efficent and fun. Gotta hand it to you guys....after chasing trout for the last 15 years....these fish and techniques have me feeling extremely humbled. Cant wait to get back out there again!

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
check out this link, written by site member k2flyfisher. i would reccomend getting a skagit and a scandi, and considering the time of year i would just start by getting a skagit, because it is cold out and you will want to fish heavy tips.

http://steeliemike.blogspot.com/2009/11/skagit-and-scandi-lines-simplified.html
iagree great place to start. IMHO you'll want the skagit for this winter, throwing heavy tips and flies, and the scandi for more subtle, lighter flies and presentations in the summer.

Just make sure you have your rod matched up with the right line, as it will make a huge difference in cast-ability.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
For the clearwater I would try and start out with a delta (not the delta long). Harder than a skagit to learn, but your are not stripping in line all the time. Sagit is a good choice for winter, gut a lot of the clearwater guys fish mid to long belly lines all year.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
A lot of good recommendations :thumb: Let me offer another perspective:

If you don't Spey, don't start.
Well I got into it about five years ago. And I got out of it just about as fast. I was using a 14' St Croix 9/10. The reel was about as big as my head. So after many lessons from Aaron and Matt B. I threw in the towel. I just couldn't get the casting thing down. I could do good on grass but in the water it all went to hell.

But it's a good thing I gave it all up as the water I play around in here in Montana is way to small of a rod that big.

Jim

P/S Just some more usless info. :beathead:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
WOOZER! Back reading this thread and 'it' finally registered' HERE AND ELSEWHERE would/could you be?: "Alright, im sure you guys are sick of these newbie questions, .."

NO such thing, that's why this, and other Fora's exist. It's the 'Newbie' questions that get us thinking.

Bless you, and your question.

Fred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.